Thread: Hi IVF question

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi IVF question

I know some of you guys have gone the ivf route for gender selection and after they make and test the embryos what becomes of the remaining ones? If we did it I just couldn’t imagine not giving birth to them all. How many are usually “made”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Many people have this fear going in to IVF and they end up being very surprised as they end up not with too many embryos, but not ENOUGH. People envision having 20 embryos left unused but that is really, really not the case in the vast majority of cases. Most folks end up with fewer than they think they will, particularly with PGD involved.

Yes, occasionally some people do end up with some extras. Then you have a choice of donation to scientific research, giving them up for adoption to another couple, doing a "compassionate transfer" which is when they transplant the embryo at the wrong time of month to let it live out its normal lifespan in as natural an environment as possible, or leaving them on ice for a while to see how you feel about it in a couple years. Sometimes it's easier to walk away once they've been there a while. Other times you may decide to go ahead. We've had quite a few people end up going back for another of their desired gender even tho at the time they would have sworn they were only doing it once!!

How you feel about any of those options is a very personal decision. There no right or wrong answer, you have to follow your heart. For me, even tho IVF wasn't an option financially, I felt that it wasn't for me regardless. I just KNEW I would be the gal who gets one embryo and transfers it even tho it wasn't my desired gender. People actually do that a fair bit, especially on their last cycle - they'd rather implant something than nothing and end up having spent a ton of money and getting an opposite anyway. I just knew in my gut that would be me, LOL!

The number you end up with varies wildly from zero to five-ish or so. There are the people who may end up with more like eight sometimes but that's less common. Most of the people who I'm the most familiar with and have spent the most time with, end up with 1-3, and then that may or may not include their desired gender.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on your age. For me at 39, it didn't work out at all- 10 fertilized after 4 cycles and looks like none made it to blast.

4. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by icyicy View Post
    It depends on your age. For me at 39, it didn't work out at all- 10 fertilized after 4 cycles and looks like none made it to blast.
    Would you ever consider an egg donor? That's a possibility that has worked for some people.

6. Likes icyicy liked this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also adopt an embryo if you wanted guaranteed gender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes icyicy liked this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes adopting an embryo would be the thing to do, if it doesn't work out naturally any more in the next 2-3 years. Think I might buy a plan now first. And I have to look into possibilitys where I can choose the gender of the embryo when adoping in Europe. Fortunately I do have kids and wanted to do IVF for gender selection, had no idea it would work out so bad.

10. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes I was just about to mention, some of the embryo adoption agencies do not let you sort by gender so you have to go in prepared for that possibility.

They do a very poor job of letting women in their late 30's know what their chances are. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but I'm happy to help you try naturally!

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a very logical question and something that has crossed the minds of many women in IVF. I had a failed IVF after my 3 failed IUIs and I had none to freeze in the previous cycle. So now I seem to be taking my time trying again with donor eggs this time. I was advised to use donor eggs but I can't wrap myself up in the thought as yet. As for your question. It's not the same for every cycle. But all the possibilities are already mentioned by the previous posters.

13. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post