Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tips on hiding a pregnancy for the first several weeks?

I feel kind of silly asking this, but here goes. We've always told family (and close friends) that we're expecting as soon as we get the BFP. But this time, since our boys are a little bit older and more aware and understanding of things, we want to wait until I'm out of the first trimester before we tell anyone (I'd hate to have to explain to my boys about a miscarriage, if something were to happen, kwim?). Anyway, we just feel better about telling everyone, including our kids, once we reach the second trimester. But then DH and I got to talking last night, and we figured that if we're going to wait that long, we might as well wait until an early gender scan (we're going to book one for some time in December - maybe 14-15 weeks?). We figured we could announce pregnancy AND gender at the same time. I know some people do this (Atomic comes to mind! ) and I think with some creative dressing and such, it could be doable.

So anyway, having said all that, has anyone been in the same situation and needed to conceal a pregnancy for awhile before revealing it? How did you do it? Any tips on keeping things hush-hush before you're ready to spill the beans?
    2013: twin boy stillborn at 37 weeks
    Sweet baby boy, you are loved and missed more than you will ever know.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of you and wonder what
    you would have been like. I love you and miss you so much.
    Rest now, my baby, in the loving arms of Jesus.

Biggest shock of our lives - surprise BFP! And it's a GIRL!!!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi! Well I'm 12 weeks and feel the same. I also want to keep it from my boys as long as I can. I'm pretty lucky in that I don't get too big. I'm just now starting to get "thick around the middle" and am just wearing baggy clothes, etc. My advice if you want to keep it secret is really to tell no one- or at least only a few who are sure to be able to keep their lips sealed around your boys. We've only told my parents and brother (who would never say anything), DH told a friend who lives abroad, and I told my BFF who lives in another state. So we were certain word wouldn't get out. There have been times I've wanted to explain to people why I feel terrible or look so green :-) but so far I've managed!! GL!!
    Proud Mom to my gorgeous 2008, and 2010. Lights of my life!!

Pretesting "normal". FSH 7.5

Cycle 1: HRC Feb 10 2012
    Started off slow on 225 Gonal F, 1 Meno; increased to 300 Gonal F and over responded. 27 eggs received, 19 mature, 15 fert, only 8 to GSN, all terrible quality- only one normal XY. NT. Boo.

Cycle 2: HRC May 2012
    Took DHEA (only 25-50 mg/day), royal jelly, bee propolis, CoQ10. Antagonist cycle with growth hormone. Started off with 300 Gonal-F and quickly moved down to 150 Gonal-F and rode it out. 43 eggs, 35 mature, 30 fert, 9 to Day 5 GSN, 1 normal XY and two normal XX. Froze all.
    July 2012 - FET at HRC, transferred 1 XX expanding blast. ???

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, we haven't told anyone yet! Only DH and I know, and I've told my acupuncturist too, because I wanted to get in right away for an appt with him to help this bean stick! Those are the only people who know right now, besides all you lovely ladies here.

I thought it would be hard to keep a secret, but I actually kind of like the idea that DH and I have a super special secret that only he and I share. I think it's sweet. I honestly think I'm most excited to share the news with my boys when the time comes - I can't wait for them to see my belly grow and to feel their little sister/brother kicking. How fun that will be!

Anyway, my biggest concern with hiding the pregnancy from others until we're out of the first trimester is that I don't know how to hide the belly! I've never hidden my growing belly before, so it's going to take some real creativity to hide my bump as time goes on. I'd appreciate any and all tips on what to wear to hide an early preggy belly!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish I had your willpower guys! I totally love the idea of waiting to tell but I am just too excited lol more then enough people already know eek!
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not pregnant yet, but when and if I'll be I also don't want to tell lots of people. I want to tell my parents and sisters but I'm not sure about my in laws. I don't feel comfortable telling them soon, but at the same time I don't know if hubby would want to hide it from them. I feel a little unfair if I tell my parents while hiding it from his parents. If I tell my parents, I will ask them to keep it to themselves for some time though. I also did that with my son until I was in the second trimester.

I'll tell my friend (who is also my colleague) immediately, actually can't wait to be preg and tell her I will also tell my son but he's grown enough to keep a secret if I ask him to. Then I start telling people at work etc when first tremester is over.

I'll try to wear lose clothes if belly starts to show, there are several lose ones in fashion at the moment so it shouldn't be a big problem to find them on the market. And I'll say that I'm eating a lot lately
    swayed for but blessed with

Our little bundle of joy has arrived Born on 31st May 2013

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have always waited until around 10 weeks to tell most people - except for my dh and my mom. Last time I told MIL a few days after my BFP and that was a big mistake. First of all, she took it very badly and didn't hide her disapproval (which is the last thing a hormonal, newly pregnant person needs!) and even though we told her not to tell anyone, she blabbed to some people in family. Her nephew congratulated me the next time I saw him, and I guess I was kind of rude to him because I was so shocked he knew. I told him he had better keep his mouth shut!

So yeah, I guess I echo HopingforPigtails' advice about telling no one! I also think that since it's getting colder now (are you in the US?) it'll be easier to hide your bump with sweaters and sweatshirts.
    2004 2007 2010

It's a boy! Due 7/8/2013

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, normally we'd be telling right away (we did that with both previous pregnancies - told as soon as we got the BFP). But, with the boys being a bit older now, I'd feel more comfortable waiting until I'm out of the first trimester to make sure everything is okay. Also, if I'm able to hold out long enough to hide the pregnancy until I find out what I'm having, it will be SO much better to announce the pregnancy AND the gender at the same time. Unfortunately, my IL's (and some others) have said horrible things to me during my pregnancies about the baby's gender (before I found out what I was having), and it really hurt. I really want to avoid that this time. So if it's a girl, it will be awesome to tell everyone, "Guess what? We're pregnant, and it's a girl!" and if it's a boy, we'll hopefully have a little bit of time to process it privately, then can announce the pregnancy AND the fact that it's a boy at the same time, and hopefully my IL's won't say anything negative about the baby being a boy once we actually KNOW it's a boy, does that make sense?

Ugh, either way, the wait is going to kill me....
    Last edited by sweetpea; September 27th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would really like to wait until we know our next baby's gender before we announce the pregnancy (for the same reason as you) but I don't think I can hold out that long. Especially because I know I will most likely not be getting an early scan, so I'll have to wait until 20 weeks.
    2004 2007 2010

It's a boy! Due 7/8/2013

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your just going to have to wear baggy clothing and complain a lot about putting on weight. Goodluck i hope you can keep it a secret for that long

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do layers of clothes, which are popular now anyway...a fitted t with another looser one on top and a cardigan..plus depending on where you live it might be getting colder sooner where cardigan sweaters would be perfect to hide a tummy from the side especially. It's finally fall here where I live, so I love wearing the layers to keep me from looking so big...I'm only 21 weeks and people think I'm due any day when I get asked in public!
    '05 '06 '06 '08 '10 '11 '12 '13

Super shocking surprise BFP without ttc! EDD Jan 7, 2015 with a !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast