Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Transitioning out of the crib

Hey ladies
    So our little guy is 19 months still sleeps perfectly in his crib. I plan on leaving him in there as long as possible but just want to get prepared for the next step as number 2 will be here before we know it! What do you recommend switching too? The normal toddler bed, or go to a twin bed etc? I found a really cool twin "Cars" bed I like but as this is my first, I'm not sure about skipping the "toddler" bed stage. The "Cars" bed has sides all around it, but the end is open to get in and out, it's close to the ground. Thoughts?? What did you find easiest? Thanks
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For my first son I got him the twin lightning McQueen bed too for his first bed and I think he was 2 1/2 when I moved him to It and it went really well...
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanting-a-girl View Post
    For my first son I got him the twin lightning McQueen bed too for his first bed and I think he was 2 1/2 when I moved him to It and it went really well...
    Really?? I bet the bed I'm looking at is the same one then. I just wasn't sure if it's too big, so good to hear! I even plan to keep him in then crib while this baby is in the bassinet if he lets me! LOL!
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup that's exactly wht I did then he went to his big boy bed when I needed the crib for the baby it was actually a really easy transition. I think he will do just fine in that bed and he will absolutley love it...

With my second son I bought a car bed that goes from toddler bed to twin size and it has a little track for toy cars on the foot end when its in the toddler size.... I had it as toddler size for no more than a week I didn't like it lol
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^I also think the toddler bed is a bit of a waste. Especially if the bed you are looking at is one with sides. The only concern I had about putting my son in a twin was the fact that he moved a lot in his sleep. So we did the toddler bed thing until we found a bed with rails (part of a bunk set, the top bed had dual rails). But truly, we only had the toddler bed for about a month and could have easily skipped that stage if we had the bed with rails straight away. (He was just over two when we moved to a toddler bed).

My mom has a toddler bed at her house for my just-over 3-year-old and he already is growing out of it. With a pillow, his feet are pretty much at the bottom, so they really have a short lifespan. I would go for the cars bed!

And we plan to do the same as you with our 15-month-old. We are gonna leave him in his crib until we absolutely need it for the baby, hopefully not until after he is 2. And then we are moving him in with his brother in a twin bed (the railed one, older son doesn't need the rails any more).
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks a lot ladies.
    Glad I asked lol a few others with kids have told me the toddler bed is just a pain! The crib we have now converts to a toddler bed, but I'd hate to buy a second crib for the new baby and I think the reason I'll have to take DS out is cause he'll be too big which I guess makes a toddler bed useless as well! He looks like he gets a little uncomfy in there already sometimes. I'm going to look more into getting the twin bed, but here's hoping he likes the crib for as long as possible
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson