Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one rh-????

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any one rh-????

Just wondering how ur kids are? I'm reading things that are scaring me! Do you have to get the rogham with your last baby? I'm reading that it causes brain issues with your kids and I have two kids with with autism... Did the shot do this... I cants find real facts
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm Rh-, so is my sister. We've both got the Rogham shot both times (during pregnancy and after birth) and all our children our fine.

I had a huge fear of Autism with my first and did tones of research which made me freak out about getting the shot and both my kids are fine so far (3 and 16 months). From what I read it was the thimerosal in the Rhogam shot that 'apparently' causes Austism (same ingredient in vaccines which they initially claimed caused Autism). I did tones of research and the brand they give in Canada called WinRho contains no Thimerosal or mercury of any sort and has quite clean ingredients. That helped me to feel a little better with my first when I was hugely freaking out - My OB was very annoyed I'd worry and not do the shot based on that. I've also read a little in that they think it's something to do with the blood in general that could cause Autism.. but if your blood never mixes then that shouldn't be a problem. My grandmother is RH- and had 7 kids and none are Autistic.

It's a hard call to make for sure as I understand your concern but from all I've read (and I'm sure you'd done way more research being that you have children with AS) is that you can't do much to prevent and that it's probably more genetic than anything - also maternal age, DH's age etc. plays a big role.

I think it's hard to find any hard facts on this because I would often read Autism forums of parents who would ask how many are RH- with autistic kids and so lots of people responded saying they were, but 15% of the population is Rh- so obviously there are going to be some in the group with both..
    Last edited by black&gold; February 4th, 2013 at 10:51 AM.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    my blood mixed with the two autistic ones and my oldest who is fine it did not mix... i know i was probably just reading things from all the people who think everything is a conspiracy.

now the shot protects my future babies right? so if this is my last baby do i really need it during pregnancy... i have no problem getting it after
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you get the shot with both your Autistic boys?

I would share your concerns with your Dr. and maybe ask for an Antibodies screen of your blood now just so you know (I feel like they did it around 20 weeks or something which may be a little late) That way they could tell you if you do in fact have antibodies in your blood in which case they'd do something about that (not exactly sure what) I would get it during pregnancy as well just to be safe because it protects you if your blood does happen to mix.

I would be more thinking that the mixing of the blood potentially cause some neurological damage to your boys which showed as Autism than it being anything because of the shot. Did your babies have Rh disease when they were born? (super jaundice, etc.?)

Just asking because I'm very curious as to how that would all happen and the Dr. not address it! So sorry to hear this

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sorry to hear about your boys, I have no experience with Autism but here are my experience with the Shot

I'm RH-. I needed a shot during my first pregnancy, during any bleeding with the pregnancies (a couple times with DS3 and DD), 3 of my babies are B+ so I needed the shot at their birth. Also I had a miscarriage last month and I needed the shot then. My oldest is 7 and perfectly fine and the most social of my kids, all my kids are healthy even my premie (DS2). My 2 year old has issues with over stimulation but besides that everybody's fine
    Last edited by mommymachine; February 4th, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Thank you God and Our Lady
    - 2005 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016

Due January 2021

Dec '12, Feb '13, July '15

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got the shot 3-4 times with each pregnancy (due to bleeding) and my kids so far are totally fine (too early to tell with DD, obviously). I think the vaccine-autism link has mostly been disproven. But yes, you're right, the shot protects future babies, so if you're sure you're done you don't need it. I chose to get it with my last pregnancy anyway, although we're done, because if I change my mind in the future and want another baby I don't want this to be the reason I can't have one...
    2006, 2008, 2011, HT 2012

Cycle #1 @ HRC, March 2012: Pretesting FSH 5.7, AMH 2, AFC 19. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized & to GSN, 2 normal XY, 1 normal XX. Transferred 1XX. 1st beta 9 5dp5dt, 2nd beta 777 12dp5dt, 3rd beta 2823 15dp5dt. 124 at 6w6d (2 large SCHs seen). DD born 3 days overdue - December 2012.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes ive had the shot in all of my pregnancies and again after the birth cause i obviously want to do what is best.... i dont think the dr has ever checked my antibodies becasue we only get prenatal blood work when we find out we are preg and then the glucose... i think i am just constantly trying to find something to blame because no one knows what causes it... there is literally nothing that i have done to cause it with my third child i even only ate organic food i did absolutely everything i can possibly do... and its not mild autism that they have it is very life debilitating... i wonder if it is something to do with DH cause my fisrt son has a different dad and is fine...
    ( 2004) ( 2006) (2011 )

Aug 27th 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rhogam coats the foetal blood cells in your circulation so that you don't make antibodies to them which can cross the placenta and attack the blood cells of this baby or the next one ( if given after the birth). Before Rhogam many babies died simply because they became too anaemic from the antibodies.

It doesn't cross the placenta (otherwise they wouldn't be able to give it in pregnancy without coating the babies cells) and doesn't stick around for more than a few weeks after it is given ( which is why it is repeated during pregnancy and after the birth)

There will always be conspiracy theories about what they mix it with, just like vaccines. But the scientists are happy they are safe.

Sadly it is more likely to be bad luck (or DH's bad genes).
    At the end of the day you have to be comfortable with the choices you make and the risks/benefits attached to them and it is never easy.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, I forgot. There is a blood test they can do to check if there are fetal( baby) cells in your blood called a Kleihauer test. You can do this test at any stage of pregnancy and make a decision based on if they find cells or not.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm RH- and I choose to forgo the prenatal shot unless there is some kind of trauma that would suggest it was needed (like a car accident) The design of the placenta is such that the blood should not transfer, and the shot only last a few weeks. I choose not to get it until something happens that warrants it. Then I test the babies blood postpartum and decide if I want to get it postpartum.
    How do you know if your blood mixed if you weren't tested for antibodies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast