Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Natural Child birth

Because I want to learn, tell me those of you that chose to have natural child birth(no pain meds)- why?

Not asking in a smartass way either, I really want to understand better. I've had 4 and 4 epidurals and all 4 came out fine, BFing, high Apgar, etc so I don't see any health concern...is it just to see if you can take it? I'm not that strong I guess.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had my 2nd DS with no pain meds, all natural. I used Hypnobirthing to prepare and it was wonderful. I am not sure why I did it to be honest. I just wanted to experience it and have a baby the good ol natural way and have it be easy and peaceful without the nurses hustling around me and all those cords attached to you etc. It was a big "I'm a woman hear me roar moment" that's for sure.

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For some reason I just never felt good about epidurals. Then they made me get one with my 1st and I hated it. It messed up my back, I had a hard time going to the bathroom for a while afterwards (because of the catheter), I hated feeling helpless and having a difficult time holding my baby, I couldn't feel to push and ripped, and I felt like the doctor and nurses were in control and I wasn't. I also hate the IVs, but they won't let me not get one. But I'm also not brave enough to not do it at the hospital, so I would never consider a home birth and there aren't any other options where I live. I'll admit I've only done one birth completely drug free, since I've received IV narcotics with all the others. But I think that has a lot to do with the nurses being unsupportive. The doctor and nurses would rather ladies get the epideral, because then they can put off the delivery until it's more convenient for them since the urge to push isn't as strong. Out of my 4 deliveries the doctor has only been there on time, where I didn't have to wait, once and that was just out of luck. And it really sucks to resist pushing and try to breathe through it. But I think the pain from the labor and delivery is so temporary that I'd rather not have to deal with the epideral. For me the afterpains are always worse anyways, I think I would take the epideral then if I could! But going from feeling very little pain to feeling everything all at once isn't very fun. So yeah those are my reasons for choosing not to get the epideral.
    Mar 2003
    Dec 2004
    Aug 2006
    Jan 2009
    due Jul 2011
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9531378

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As a doula, I've learned a lot about natural birth vs. medicated birth. For me, the risks are too high. It -can- interfere with a normal birth, it increases your chance of a cesarean, and it -can- interfere with breastfeeding, and it does increase the chance of more interventions. I've seen it happen. I've had it ruin things with L's birth (necessary cesarean due to dvt/pe). Epidurals do have an effect on baby. That doesn't mean that these things -will- happen... but they do increase your chance. I'm not okay with that risk.

We were made to give birth. In the vast majority of cases, interventions are not needed. I mean, thank goodness they are there for when they are needed... but more often than not they aren't.

NBP: You ARE strong enough.. you probably just didn't have someone there to really (and I mean REALLY) let you know that you can do it. Doulas are pretty awesome for that

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And when I say I've had it happen with L - I mean that the drugs from the cesarean made him unable to latch. He refused from the very first time we tried. He never latched and it broke my heart. That's why I'm doing the EPing thing.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Im not sure why anyone wouldn't want a natural childbirth. If anyone has seen "The Business of Being Born" it gives great insight as to why the USA has a high infant mortality rate with more c-section births than any other industrial country. The more you interfere w/ natural birthing the more that can go wrong.

Women have been birthing since the dawn of time. Not in a hospital, not w/ a an epi, not even in water. So why make it so medical now unless your high risk?

Im going natural...that's my plan no meds. So I can have control over my body & baby can breastfeed well, I heard epi's interfere w/ that and i've heard of a woman dying from an infection from an epi. It all seems worth the pain to me.

If my mother can do it with me coming out facing up...all 9lbs. of me, no meds, no c-section, I can do it too.
    Last edited by Azuremyst; December 30th, 2010 at 07:58 PM.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Completely agree with Azuremyst. She said it much better than I!

I so wish you lived near, I would love to doula for you! ♥

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a natural one because I was forced to. I lived in a remote northern part of Canada at the time, and if you were not having a C-sec then an epidural was not an option, as they only had one anaesthesiologist. I will admit that it did hurt, and I would have taken the epi gladly if I could, but looking back on it I think it was great. It was fast...5.5 hours of labor total, and I felt great afterwards. I walked back to my room, I was up and walking around with my DS the next morning. I am hoping to do it natural the next time around too. Oh and also, my DS was 9lbs, and I am a small girl, and it still went fine. I only had about 4 stitches after.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by december View Post
    Completely agree with Azuremyst. She said it much better than I!

I so wish you lived near, I would love to doula for you! ♥
    Awwwe I wish you could!! I see 4 different midwives and one is always on call so I know one of them will be there for me when Olivia is born.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I seem to dilate to 10 cm without really knowing that I'm even in labor, and after that it's too late to get the epidural (at least at my hospital). That was alright with DS#2 that I was able to push out in 1/2 hour (screaming for an epidural the whole time, lol) but not so fun with DS#1 who took 8 hours of pushing to come out (ugh!). So it wasn't really a choice....
    2006, 2008, 2011, HT 2012

Cycle #1 @ HRC, March 2012: Pretesting FSH 5.7, AMH 2, AFC 19. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized & to GSN, 2 normal XY, 1 normal XX. Transferred 1XX. 1st beta 9 5dp5dt, 2nd beta 777 12dp5dt, 3rd beta 2823 15dp5dt. 124 at 6w6d (2 large SCHs seen). DD born 3 days overdue - December 2012.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast