Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maternit21 was wrong for gender?! Told boy; it's a girl?

Hi! Being 36 for my second pregnancy, I was offered the Maternit21 test at 10 weeks. Wonderfully, we got back negative results for the trisomies, and as a bonus we were told the gender. They told us it was a boy with 99.4% accuracy. Fast forward to 20 weeks, and the ultrasound clearly shows a girl - we saw the three lines/no penis, and the tech filled out our paperwork as being female. We have a large blended family with no girls, so to say I am in a state of shock is an understatement.

Has anyone heard of this happening? I feel pretty confident with what we saw on the screen, but can't figure out how the test would detect enough fetal Y chromosome to say boy, when it seems there should be no y chromosome at all! I did have a boy a few years ago, but it seems strange there would still be enough residual Y from him.

I will be discussing with midwives next week, but in the meantime am totally confused!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have a potty shot? I would call them and discuss the findings with someone who is technical and can explain the results. What was your percentage of fetal DNA found? No test is 100%, not even an amnio. 99.4% means that 6 in every 1000 will be incorrect. My worst fear has always been a sample or reporting mix up. This is really awful and I would want to get to the bottom of what happened. I can tell you that it ISN'T residual Y chromosome from your son. Maybe they will retest you for free if you are really confident in the ultrasound results??
    Love my (2006) (2009) (2013) (2014)

THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!!!!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really don't think the tests are accurate for gender. You are not the first!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh no. I was told healthy girl yesterday on the harmony blood test I had done at 12+5 ..... Now I feel my bubble has burst They should retest for free. Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    OUR GENDER DREAMING SUCCESS!!
    BFP 11 dpo on FRER, ttc pink month 4, (following blighted ovum in February 2014) HB seen 6+0!!! WOW harmony test says GIRL 17/05/14 ... Please let it be true!!! Confirmed GIRL @ 30/05/14 / 16+1 gender scan!!
    Baby girl E arrived 30/10/14, our family is complete
    Thank you atomic
    2003 2007 2011 (IG "failed" sway, TTC#3 mc month 6, mc month 8, dropped all swaying month 11 - BFP!! Blessed with a gorgeous baby boy) due 13 November 2014

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The fact is WAY more of these have been correct than incorrect. If your results are incorrect then you aren't the first nor the last however, to say the tests aren't accurate for gender just isn't true. Under that definition there is NO accurate test available.

The 99.4% comes from testing thousands of specimens and following up with an amnio and then following up again at birth. The test doesn't claim to be 100%. On this forum I haven't personally seen any inaccurate for gender however, I did see one that was reported out as Turners and turned out to be normal which is different than a wrong gender. I have also seen one that they thought it wasn't accurate when actually it was the ultrasound that was incorrect. The moderators may have more information or statistics on accuracy that I don't have access to in which case they should make that information public if it is available.

I personally would want to see the test results that were reported to my provider. Maybe they got your paperwork mixed up with someone else? There are so many places for error. I would contact Sequenom. They can probably pull records from your test and if everything seems to check out then I would ask that my specimen be retested because it is just as likely that your specimen was switched with another patient or your results were reported in error which are human errors not testing errors. Please follow up with Sequenom and follow up with this thread as I know there will be lots of people who will want to know the outcome and reason for the discrepancy.
    Last edited by WantingPink; May 18th, 2014 at 05:58 PM.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you! I will be speaking with my midwives first thing this week, and following up with Sequenom as well, thanks to your suggestion. We saw lots of potty shots during the ultrasound, but did not get a printed one – the tech seemed to be lingering there for quite a while, probably because we told her Mat21 said boy. Foolishly, we didn't ask much at the time, feeling so sure of the Mat21 results (despite not seeing a penis!). We didn't get the female confirmation until the u/s report went to our midwife practice this weekend.

I will follow up on this thread with more information when I get it!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe these tests are accurate. However no test is 100% and there will be someone who gets the short end of the stick and fall in the 1%. I know my clinic which is very large had 2 that were inaccurate. I can't even tell you how many ended up being correct, it's a large number. Sorry yours was wrong or should I say congratulations!
    3 Beautiful Boys 742 and a little lady

My baby girl is here and we are so in love with her! Thank you gender dreaming for making my family complete!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just FYI- gender was just recently added to these tests. They didn't start out testing gender with any of these types of tests.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by icefloe00 View Post
    Thank you! I will be speaking with my midwives first thing this week, and following up with Sequenom as well, thanks to your suggestion. We saw lots of potty shots during the ultrasound, but did not get a printed one – the tech seemed to be lingering there for quite a while, probably because we told her Mat21 said boy. Foolishly, we didn't ask much at the time, feeling so sure of the Mat21 results (despite not seeing a penis!). We didn't get the female confirmation until the u/s report went to our midwife practice this weekend.

I will follow up on this thread with more information when I get it!
    I hope you can get to the bottom of what happened and if you need suggestions or help feel free to ask. I am sorry this is happening!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    Just FYI- gender was just recently added to these tests. They didn't start out testing gender with any of these types of tests.
    That's strange since my test also offers the sex chromosomes test option, which includes the detection of Turner syndrome (Monosomy X), Triple X (XXX), Klinefelter syndrome (XXY), and Jacobs syndrome (XYY), the most common fetal sex chromosome abnormalities (also called sex chromosome aneuploidies). Sex chromosome aneuploidies are conditions in which there is a change from the usual 2 copies of sex chromosomes in males (XY) or females (XX).
    Cycle#1 Jan/Feb 2013: 10 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 8 fertilized. 1 expanded blast frozen to batch.

Cycle #2 May/June 2013: 17 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized, 3 blasts frozen. Sending all 4 to Natera: 2 normals- 1 girl (cycle 2) & 1 boy (cycle 1)

Cycle #3 September 2013: 11 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 8 fertilized. 4 biopsied. 2 normal boys

FET #1: October 25th: BFN

Cycle#4: Feb/March 2014: 12 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 10 fertilized. 1 normal XX! Transfer March 3rd. BFP: 3/9/14!!!! Beta: 7dp6dt:38, 9dp6dt:139!, 6weeks 1 day: heartbeat!!!

She's here and I'm in love

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast