Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Confused NST and BPP fail

So the NST ( non-stress test) failed because her heart rate did not go up the required 2 times in 30 minutes with TONS of movements and they buzzed her twice. A BPP (biophysical profile) was done and the only fail she had was on muscle tone which is at least one episode of active bending and straightening of a limb or trunk. Everything else fluid levels, heart rate, breathing, and activity were perfect. The scheduled a recheck for tomorrow for a repeat of everything which ok I will go along with that. She scored a 6/10 and from everything I can find it says for that score repeat in 24h if less than 36 weeks which we are doing tomorrow.
    Labor induction at 36 weeks if favorable cervix (11 days away) follow up if greater than 6 or c-sec delivery if less than 6.

Now keep in mind I am at a C-section happy hospital. In fact once they saw the score the first question out of the doc was if I had a c-section with my son. They've threatened me all along with it as soon as I tested positive for gestational.

How many failures at a 6 do you think it would take on average for them to push induction/c-section on this time frame? What would be reasonable or not?

I have searched high and low and cannot find the info for this. I've even come across some scary induction stories for 8/10 which is considered a decently normal score depending on which area you missed! The second they bring up early induction or c-section I am walking my fat butt to the hospital 45 min away and getting a second opinion I just want my ducks in a row as most of the area hospitals are just as c-section happy as the next one. In fact I think I can count on one hand the number of my high school classmates that got away with a vaginal birth up here and the rest were c-section all done weeks early. We cant all be that bad! If it helps the reason they are doing these is because I am overweight and I have gestational diabetes which is WELL under control with diet.
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do not know the answer but sending your way.

Does anyone else know the answer??
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know any answers I am sorry. They had to induce my son (DS2) at 34ish weeks for IUGR and he got a 8/10 on BPP a few days before induction...but that wasn't the reason for the induction. I know that doesn't help you at all though Praying you and your little one get the healthiest answer/outcome possible!!
    Thank you God and Our Lady
    - 2005 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016

Due January 2021

Dec '12, Feb '13, July '15

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your responses! It may be a question no one has the answer to but its nice to hear experiences too!

Today she passed the NST no BPP done. They want me coming in two times a WEEK!!! That is INSANE! All because I have gestational. Not because its out of control but just because.. so silly. Today when she was buzzed her heart rate went up as it should. I dont know if it went up on the buzz yesterday or not. So if that is supposed to count, then they should have passed her yesterday. I have another one sunday and Im gonna have hubby watch the heart monitor when they buzz her and if it goes up and they fail her Im giving them a small piece of my mind.
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like over medicalising your pregnancy to me. What does 'buzzing' her mean? Sounds more stressful for you and the baby to be doing all these tests. Where is the evidence that these tests are helpful? Can you refuse to do these tests?

An induction at 36 weeks seems very early and with such a c-section friendly hospital it seems likely that that is the path it will take.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.. I don't really know what it is like to be in your situation as my pregnancy care has been very different here (more natural birth focused, midwifery led care).

Sept 2008 Sept 2011 March 2017

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Me budding in again - NST twice a week is not uncommon. I have needed them for 4 of my pregnancies because of high blood pressure. Every last few weeks is the same...NSTs twice a week and weekly BPPs until my blood pressure becomes so high they have to induce. Sometimes it's for the best.
    Thank you God and Our Lady
    - 2005 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016

Due January 2021

Dec '12, Feb '13, July '15

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Purple- I can't help but over medicalize it thats the way my brain works. I'm best when I am loaded down with research especially when I must deal with a hospital due to my joint issues etc. If I had my way it would be home birth in the tub but I can't risk it because of a bad hip theres a very real chance of a stall once the baby is nearly out. The more I am educated about it the more I can stop their unnecessary interventions. Buzzing means they use a small device on the outside of the tummy it makes a little noise but its mostly just vibration. Think of like a cellphone on vibrate just a little stronger. So when they do that it wakes the baby up and gets them to move. I am giving them this last test on sunday then Im going to tell them I see no reason to keep coming in since there have been no issues and the only time they can fit me in is when shes sleeping!! (up all night sleep all day besides random spurts) From all the research I've done this is for high risk situations. They tell me I HAVE to have it due to the gestational diabetes but from everything I read its for those who have to be medication controlled or not sticking to the diet and neither of those apply to me. I had it with DS too but these tests were not required and they said they would not do them unless I couldn't keep my sugar under control and that was at one of the top facilities in the country! I'd believe them over any area hospital up here!

Plus I have to tote my 3 year old to these hour sometimes 2 hour long tests and that's a royal pain in my rear! I have to lift him into the car then out since there's not enough room to climb out on his own and I'm not supposed to be picking him up. No babysitter options for that many times a week and hubby works 16 hour days mostly out of town since hes a driver.

Mommymachine- your situation I totally understand you were in a high risk situation because your BP kept rising. If my gestational was out of control I could see it for my situation. I've not once in the last few months tested high on any of my sugars and the same with DS.
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahri View Post
    Purple- I can't help but over medicalize it thats the way my brain works. I'm best when I am loaded down with research especially when I must deal with a hospital due to my joint issues etc. If I had my way it would be home birth in the tub but I can't risk it because of a bad hip theres a very real chance of a stall once the baby is nearly out. The more I am educated about it the more I can stop their unnecessary interventions.
    I meant they are over medicalising it It does sound good that you are educated on what interventions you are getting. I had never heard of these tests so I'm not sure how often they are done here unless they have different names but I don't think my friends who have had GD had to have them.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I get what you meant now I didn't the first time which is what confused me.. Then I started reading and saw its a high risk thing for High BP, out of control diabetes, placenta problems, fluid problems etc. The NST is nothing more than the same things you may have had before where they put the contraction and the heart rate monitor on your tummy and monitor for 30 min. They want the heart rate to go up 15bpm for 15 seconds at least 2 times when they move during that period. If they don't get that then they do the BPP.

They were after me the second my SPD/pelvic girdle pain started up with the c-section even though I had it last time and vaginally delivered. Then the gestational diabetes came and then its more c-section and "Just because you are controlling it now and did good with it the first time doesn't mean youll keep doing it. I saw one woman leave the OB office and you could tell she was out of control so she was getting her 36 week c-sect like they wanted. It seems like they expect all the gestational moms to be like that woman. Out of control and packing on the pounds. Lots of scare tactic and they don't like it when I push back because I've educated myself
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I probably have had those tests then as I got monitored at 38wks due to pre eclampsia and then induced at 40wks.

It's really sad in their lack of trust in women's bodies. Pregnancy is such a vulnerable time so it is so unfair they try to control women with their scare tactics. I hope you can stay strong! You shouldn't have to do this, they should be supportive of you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast