Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

GBS Positive and quick Labour

Hello, I'm just curious about peoples experience or knowledge with GBS.
    I tested positive at my 36 week appointment, this is my 3rd pregnancy. I am now 38+3 (and counting). I was positive for my second son and because my labour was 3 hours it wasn't enough time for the antibiotics to reach the baby. He had to go into the special nursery for 2 days for antibiotics. It did cause me stress and separation anxiety because even though I was breastfeeding they discharged me from the hospital because I was fine, but my son had to stay. They did end up finding me a bed (which I had to pay for) but they really empathised that they would kick me out at any time of night if the hospital got full. I can remember feeling on edge the whole time. I was really hoping to have the baby and come home same day.

Anyway my question is has anyone been GBS positive and then the baby hasn't required antibiotics?

I asked the midwife if I could have antibiotics before labour and she just said No. So I don't understand why.

Also I know this bacteria comes and goes, is it possible that in the last couple of weeks it will have become dormant so that the baby doesn't get it?
    Thanks

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That sounds terribly stressful! I'm so, so sorry that happened with your son.

I was Strep B positive with both of my children, I think (amazing how quickly one forgets). I had very long labors so I was given the antibiotics during labor. My first labor was about 48 hours, my second was about 24. So because of that, the babies did not have to have antibiotics because I'd been given them.

I think with my first child (again, gah, my memory) I had an antibiotic treatment early and had hoped it had gone away? But they tested me again closer to birth and I still had it. I guess you could always ASK and see if you can treat it and then be tested closer to the birth.

I don't know how to heal it -- maybe ask your midwife? Get the antibiotics, change your diet, add in a bunch of gut-microbe supplements?

I just Googled and found this post: https://wellnessmama.com/8680/avoid-gbs/

Maybe it will help? Best of luck to you!

3. Likes Kawazza liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thankyou so much, looks like I'll be off to the chemist tomorrow. I don't think I'll feel comfortable doing any rinsing down there especially with Garlic, but the diet and vitamins I can try.
    I have just assumed that this labour will be quicker, however so far compared to my others this has been a very different pregnancy. Yesterday was eviction day for my boys but this one looks like it's staying. So who knows the antibiotics might work this time.. I would very much like to come home after delivery as I am a lot more comfortable and relaxed at home than in hospital.
    Thanks again

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, at this point their wheels are already in motion and they're going to make you do the antibiotics no matter what.

Honestly, even though I rarely recommend anyone do this, I'd ask about an induction so you could be getting the antibiotics for several hours in advance.

PLEASE do not go take a bunch of garlic or any herbal supplements. It is too late, they're going to want to give you the antibiotics no matter what you do and garlic and many other herbs are strong blood thinners. So you're running the risk that you or the baby could have bleeding issues during/after birth for no benefit since the way medicine works, it's that they're gonna give you the antibiotics just in case no matter what.

Hoping for a slower birth this time or that they will induce so you have time for baby to get them into their little systems.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

6. Likes Kawazza liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The girl in the article tested pos at 35 weeks and was retested at 37. You're already in the 38th week and I just really want to stress to you it's unlikely that they will back off of their recommendations for the antibiotics no matter what you do now. I don't want you to take chances on eating/taking garlic, high dose Vit. C, and yes please don't put anything into your VJ now it's too risky. Even probiotics can cause things like infections when they overgrow and it's not worth the risk because the odds are sky high they'd still make you do the medicine anyway.

8. Likes Kawazza liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Atomic, it's nice to get a reason why you shouldn't do something other than a 'no'
    I'll let nature take its course, and start preparing for a stay in hospital. I might be surprised.
    I have an appointment on the 16th and will speak to them about a possible induction.
    Ahhh I hate the unknown

10. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They'll probably say "no we won't induce for that" but it's worth a mention at any rate. I'm not a fan of induction but then again I too would not want baby in the nursery after birth, either. FX that all this is academic and baby takes their own time! With my 3rd I had a super fast labor but then my 4th I would have had plenty of time for antibiotics.

12. Likes Kawazza liked this post