Thread: Progesterone

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Progesterone

Hey Atomic - Another question for you

I'm 5 weeks pregnant. I've had 3 HCG draws starting at exactly 4 weeks - they came back 967, 2,532 (72 hours later), and 7,832 (72 hours later). So that's looking good so far - way, WAY higher numbers than I had w/ my 3 m/c's! My concern is my progesterone. The first draw it was 36, next draw 26.6, and third draw 23.3. I don't get why it's dropping. My only thought is the first draw I had a very small breakfast at least 2 hours before the test, the 2nd draw I ate 2 hours before but ate more and higher carbs, and the 3rd I ate only an hour before the test. I've read eating can affect the results because your progesterone drops after a meal. Do you know if this is true?

Also do you think the drop is a bad sign? My HCG numbers look really good and even the 3rd progesterone draw was still above 20 but the decrease is concerning to me. When I asked the nurse from my RE's office who called me with results about it she wasn't concerned. She said that progesterone fluctuates and they don't get concerned unless it drops below 15. But they only check progesterone 3 times so they aren't planning to check it again - and thus we wont know if it goes below 15. I have my first scan on Friday at 5 1/2 weeks (they want to do it early given my history) so I don't know, should I push to be retested?? Or should I ask about starting progesterone supplements? I have Prometrium capsules that my OBGYN had previously prescribed and I don't know if it would be worth using them, or calling up my OBGYN and seeing what he thinks since he was the once he gave them to me in the first place.

I'm still having progesterone symptoms - sore nipples, fatigue, indigestion.... But I had those all the way up until my D&C last time so hard to take much comfort in that!
    2013 2015
    Three babies
    2019 My rainbow boy/girl twins born January 2019 - thank you Atomic and Gender Dreaming!!

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6b9cac

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Progesterone can fluctuate with everything -- including just hour to hour!! I know with my FET, with consistent TONS of progesterone, it dipped and rose throughout blood draws. And your numbers are still good!

I'm of the opinion now after as much medical research and opinion that I can get that... progesterone doesn't really matter like they used to think. Women can swear up and down that supplementation saved their pregnancies, but the evidence doesn't actually support that! So I honestly think it's a bit of a placebo at this point...

But I'm totally on it. Even though my prog was nearly as high as yours on first draw. I just wanted to "kitchen sink" it because I was so anxious. And they said, "Sure, whatever, wean at 12 weeks."

I think if it helps you feel better, go on it! Or even wait until your Friday scan to make a decision!

And I've seen people carry pregnancies with progesterone that dipped below 10 fyi. I will be interested to see what science is saying about its purpose in the next few decades!

3. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Kjoseph09, Georgia_Peach liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway_panther View Post
    Progesterone can fluctuate with everything -- including just hour to hour!! I know with my FET, with consistent TONS of progesterone, it dipped and rose throughout blood draws. And your numbers are still good!

I'm of the opinion now after as much medical research and opinion that I can get that... progesterone doesn't really matter like they used to think. Women can swear up and down that supplementation saved their pregnancies, but the evidence doesn't actually support that! So I honestly think it's a bit of a placebo at this point...

But I'm totally on it. Even though my prog was nearly as high as yours on first draw. I just wanted to "kitchen sink" it because I was so anxious. And they said, "Sure, whatever, wean at 12 weeks."

I think if it helps you feel better, go on it! Or even wait until your Friday scan to make a decision!

And I've seen people carry pregnancies with progesterone that dipped below 10 fyi. I will be interested to see what science is saying about its purpose in the next few decades!
    I was going to say same thing. My levels fluctuated even on varies forms of progesterone. Suppositories and the shot. I'd ask for it just to ease your mind though. I don't think you can have too much progesterone support?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Mama to 2 DS and 2 DD and 1 angel DD

5. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Throwaway_panther liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks TP and Mamabird.... It's not the fluctuations but just the fact that it went down twice in three blood draws... I'm worried it's going to keep dropping further. I don't know what my RE feels about supplementation as we've never talked about it but I guess I'll ask her on Friday. I know my OBGYN takes the view of "it can't hurt and it might help", and he might be more inclined to tell me to use it. Ugh... I don't know I already have the dang pills so I feel I should just go ahead with them, ya know?
    2013 2015
    Three babies
    2019 My rainbow boy/girl twins born January 2019 - thank you Atomic and Gender Dreaming!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think that type of fluctuation is in any way a bad sign...the HCG is what matters. It is totally up to you what you want to do but I am 110% with Panther, the data indicates progesterone is a placebo (and I know I've blahblahblahed at you before over this ABC)

Above all else you have to do what YOU can live with. If you really think on some level that you'll be better off on the prog, it doesn't matter what I think or any data indicates, you're going to have regrets if you didn't go on it and things didn't work out. So follow your gut and heart and call the OB and see what they have to say about it but I just want you to be sure that if you start it, you have enough to last u thru the first trimester...I don't want to see you go on it with a limited supply assuing the OB will give you more and then they don't or things just don't go right and you end up having to stop it cold turkey, before the end of the first tri. That's my only concern, if you start it you need to stay on it.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Atomic. Yea I don't know - it's one of those things where it's not like I'm 100% convinced that supplementation would help me in this case, it's just that worry of "well, should I just do nothing and hope for the best, or at least try something?". Anyways - I think I'll just talk to my RE about it tomorrow at my scan and see what she thinks. If I still feel nervous I'll call my OB early next week.
    2013 2015
    Three babies

9. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My RE today was not at all concerned about the progesterone and said those drops were normal so I guess that's that.

And it turns out there are two little beans in there Only 5w3 days so still very, very early but they are both measuring on track so far with yolk sacs. Praying they both stay healthy and strong and that we'll see two heartbeats next Friday!
    2013 2015
    Three babies

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats Abc, i thought there were two
    7/1/2014
    2/23/2019
    Praying for one more baby girl 2020-2021

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/5eaa0f

12. Thanks ABC.2606 thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Noemi!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noemi2017 View Post
    Congrats Abc, i thought there were two
    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    2013 2015
    Three babies

14. Likes atomic sagebrush, Noemi2017 liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh wow huge congrats!!! FXFXFX!!! inkcheer: inkcheer:
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ