Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Canadian Healthcare and Early U/S?

Ok, now that it looks like I'm pregnant, I'm obviously starting to worry this bean isn't going to stick. Here in Canada we don't normally see anyone for a pregnancy appointment until about 10 weeks. That just seems sooooooo long to me. Last pregnancy my bean was probably gone for at least a month without me knowing it before I m/c at 11 weeks.

Does anyone here (particularly Canadians) know whether I could go to my family doctor and request an earlier u/s? If I'm not technically under the care of my midwife until 10 weeks, that's not double-dipping into medicare, right? Note that my doctor is not an OB, but he's ordered a couple of u/s for me before as a follow-up to my m/c care and since he's sympathetic to everything I've gone through, I think maybe I could convince him to order an early pregnancy u/s for me too....

When would I first be able to be able to see a heartbeat? Is it 6 weeks?
    Identical Twin Boys, May 2006

DS3, June 2009

Lost at 11 Weeks, November 2011

DD, September 2012

I can't believe I have a daughter!
    Thank you everyone at Gender Dreaming and may all your dreams come true as well!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can absolutely ask for an early u/s. Until you start having visits with your m/w, you're not double dipping, so to speak. Heck, even here when there is an issue and we need an OB consult, you can see an OB for a few visits as well as your mw so I don't see that as an issue at all. I would book it for 6-7w if you can. If your Dr. understands your fears and knows your history then I would say he would definitely give you a req. The thing with the early u/s is that it will have to be transvaginal instead of abdominal. It's not a big deal but it can cause some irritation to the cervix and cause spotting. After 9w they can usually do an abdominal u/s. KUP! I'm just so excited for you Mocha!!!! What a wonderful New Year this will be for you
    Crunchy Mama to 3 rambunctious boys~ '06 :bike: '08 '10

Our beautiful is here!!

Felina Lilyanne was born at home ~ 4/12!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I´m so excited to read you´re pregnant, mochagirl!
    Congratulations
    This pregnancy I had a transvaginal at 4 weeks, 2 days, there was nothing.
    Then at 5 weeks and 2 days you could see the sac but no heartbeat yet.
    At 6 weeks 2 days there was a heartbeat.

Good luck getting an early US, hope you will manage to get one and I´m sending you buckets of sticky dust!!
    6 3
    swayed for a

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, ladies .

DM - I was hoping you'd respond - I know you know your stuff!

I'm used to transvaginal u/s - they always give me one at 11 weeks as well as the abdominal one. Is that not normal? Anyway, I'll book an appt with my doctor and ask for a req. when I get closer to 6 weeks. I just think it would be sooooo reassuring to see a heartbeat.

DS3, June 2009

DD, September 2012

Thank you everyone at Gender Dreaming and may all your dreams come true as well!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can imagine how reassuring that would be Mocha I can't wait for you to see your little baby! How exciting!

I have to say it's not normal to get a transvaginal u/s here. We get a nuchal if we request one at 12-13 weeks(abdominal) and a 19-21 week level 2. Sometimes they'll do a dating scan early on if the woman is really unsure of her dates. With the vaginal u/s's, I think they can get a better look at baby and if there's a history of twins it's easier to see 2 in there. Also, the cervix is seen easier. Maybe that's why it was done for you?

Our beautiful is here!!

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had an early u/s (8w3d) with my angel due to spotting which turned out to be a subchorionic hematoma and not at all related to his diagnosis. It was both an abdominal and trans vag. This time I will be having another early u/s at 8w which was requested by my doc. I too don't see my midwives until 10 weeks.
    2004, 2007, 2011, mmc 1/12

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DM - hmmm...maybe it is because of my history of twins that they always do one. My first u/s with my twins they did one after the abdominal because they needed a better look at Baby B, but since then they've just done one as a matter of course every time and I assumed it was normal. Could it be because I'm always naughty and don't have quite as full a bladder as they'd like?

Kitten - is it your GP who requests the u/s?

DS3, June 2009

DD, September 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mochagirl View Post
    DM - hmmm...maybe it is because of my history of twins that they always do one. My first u/s with my twins they did one after the abdominal because they needed a better look at Baby B, but since then they've just done one as a matter of course every time and I assumed it was normal. Could it be because I'm always naughty and don't have quite as full a bladder as they'd like?

Kitten - is it your GP who requests the u/s?
    That could very well be! LOL

Our beautiful is here!!

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am in Alberta too and I see my family doc first...With your past history you should have no problem getting an early u/s...When I get my BFP I will see my OB right away because of my ectopic....I would do it Mocha just for reassuance!!! I am so so so happy for you
    Me-Gina
    age 37
    DH- 38
    DD: Nov 14

Ectopic Angel Sept 25,2011

After a hard 2011, I am looking forward to a great 2012

Thanks to gender dreaming for all the support! Our little miracle Makalee joined our family Nov 14, our family is complete and all my dreams came true

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    HELLO CDNS!!!!
    I know when I was using clomid for DS 1 I had a vaginal ultrasound at 7 weeks. They were checking to see a successful pg and also twins. I had two mature follicles the day of ovulation and only one took I guess.
    But, that was through an endrocinologist. Otherwise, my family doc did not even schedule the 12 week ultrasound...I had to wait until close to 18 weeks I think!

With DS 2 I had an us at 36 weeks......I feared he was huge as DS 1 was almost 9 lbs. So, the OB gave in to my paranoia and gave me an US!
    I would voice up....in Canada I feel if you do not ask they do not give as it is free...tg!

SO happy for you mocha~!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast