Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up I'm going to start some weights.. need advice!

Well this is a good thing with having to try again lol.. introduce weights!

I just got out dh's dumbells and added 1kilo on each hand and did 3 different arm techniques with 10 reps of each type.. so 30 reps each arm.

Didn't take long lol so wondering if it will really do much? How much are we aiming for??

ETA: Just added in 10 girly push ups lol and 10 lunges without weight.
    Last edited by TTC5; June 17th, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
    Fathers Day baby!

Busy Mummy of 5 now working from home: www.oz.scentsy.com.au

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I started weights a few weeks ago and in that short time have noticed such a big difference. I am talking in terms of strength not muscle, but hopefully in time I will be able to physically see some muscle as well.

My DH does MMA and does strength training so he has developed a weight program for me. I do a different program each session and do 2-3 per week at the moment. Anyway so here's an example:

4 sets of bicep curls (reps of 10, 12, 10, 8) with a 2 min rest in between reps (5kg of weight)

4 sets of bent over rows (reps of 10, 12, 10, 8) on each arm with a 2 min rest between reps (6.5kg weight).

4 sets of lunges and pushups (with the pushups I aim for 10 set but I usually do 3-4 full ones and then the rest on my kneees.). I never used to be able to do even 1 push up so I am pretty pleased with myself

3 planks (depending on how I feel though, sometimes I'm too buggered)

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Plum3; June 18th, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
    DW: 30
    DH: 32

2008 2010 2013

Cycle #1- HRC November 2014
    5 normal XX and 1 normal XY
    Transferred 1 XY HB BB- BFP!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't really count what I am doing, I just do stuff until I am tired. Bec, I think I might copy what you are doing. I hope it is okay that I can only do girl push ups?
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can only do girl ones too lol
    Fathers Day baby!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never ever been able to do proper push ups until now. I surprised myself. I think after a few weeks of lifting weights you will probably find that you can do proper ones too. My goal is to get to 10 full ones eventually.

2008 2010 2013

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bec I've been doing weights for 9 months now and can totally see/feel a difference. We had family photos taken about a month ago and in one I am lifting DD2 and my arms look ah-ma-zing. My photog even commented on them, LOL! And oh my aren't planks killer?!?! I do bicycle crunches for my abs and they wear me out.

TTC5, I am pretty sure Atomic mentioned on another thread one of the best ways to raise your T with your weight training is do combined moves, so squats while holding the weights and extending them overhead, or lunges with bicep curls, etc. Another great weight move we used to have to do when I was on a running team was take a lightweight dumbbell, maybe 5lbs, and jog in place but use your arms as though you were running, only exaggerate it ... really bring it back til your elbow is the same height as your shoulder, then bring it forward again til elbow is same height as shoulder. (hope that makes some sense!) That works your entire arm/shoulder out and will really sculpt your arms!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ohh I can't wait til I can see some muscle. I'm pretty scrawny so would love to feel and look a bit stronger. I H A T E planks, they are the enemy.

2008 2010 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This thread has boosted me on to get back to some gentle at home lifts again We should make this the daily weights support thread too, so when ever we see it bumpped we get off our chairs and do a few more crunches/lifts!! I need the constant reminder or I just get too happy sitting and reading lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW What are planks???????????

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ELP View Post
    This thread has boosted me on to get back to some gentle at home lifts again We should make this the daily weights support thread too, so when ever we see it bumpped we get off our chairs and do a few more crunches/lifts!! I need the constant reminder or I just get too happy sitting and reading lol
    OMG I was so going to start us a thread just for this but thought nahhh everyone would think I'm an idiot :P
    Fathers Day baby!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast