Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sodium and gelatin questions

First up, sodium. I think I got my potassium covered (helllooooo Zico coconut water!) but I don't think I'm getting enough sodium and my attempt should be coming up the 2nd week-ish in July. I am salting up my French fries and eating potato chips and having some canned soup and some Chef Boyardee beeferonis and lasagnas and things like that but I'm not hitting really high levels. Nothing like IG recommends. What do y'all eat to get your sodium in? What do you eat that you can literally just pour salt onto?

And gelatin, I've been taking gelatin supplements (gelatin drink = my own personal hell) and I noticed the new ones I bought have some type of magnesium in them. Same with some potassium supplements that are out there. Should I toss those and get something different?

Thanks!
    Tiffany

DH June 2005
    DD Oct 2008
    DS May 2012
    Thank you gender dreaming!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Teaspoon of salt has 2400 mg of Sodium - about a half of what you should be getting.
    You can pour 1 teaspoon of sea salt in something small and put in on your meals and by the end of the day, you should eat that teaspoon nicely spaced throughout the day.

The other half of recommended dosage you can get through BSD - 1 teaspoon of BSD is 1232 mg of Sodium Bicarbonate
    Dissolve it in a glass of water. Recommendation is 3 times a day, so that would be 3696 mg of Sodium. I hardly manage to drink it twice a day

Atomic gave great idea to combine those things, like green tea with Gelatine and lemon so you don't torture yourself so many times during the day

About Gelatine - I'm not sure, maybe the amount of Magnesium isn't that significant? I've found pure Gelatine, but it's hard to swallow just like the one with Mg I guess LOL!
    m/c 2001
    2012 failed sway
    2014 my surprise baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've stopped tracking.. I figure if your salting where possible your on the right track

I think I'm heaps more relaxed now about counting all these minerals.
    Fathers Day baby!

Busy Mummy of 5 now working from home: www.oz.scentsy.com.au

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyfay311 View Post
    First up, sodium. I think I got my potassium covered (helllooooo Zico coconut water!) but I don't think I'm getting enough sodium and my attempt should be coming up the 2nd week-ish in July. I am salting up my French fries and eating potato chips and having some canned soup and some Chef Boyardee beeferonis and lasagnas and things like that but I'm not hitting really high levels. Nothing like IG recommends. What do y'all eat to get your sodium in? What do you eat that you can literally just pour salt onto?

And gelatin, I've been taking gelatin supplements (gelatin drink = my own personal hell) and I noticed the new ones I bought have some type of magnesium in them. Same with some potassium supplements that are out there. Should I toss those and get something different?

Thanks!
    There are a couple "magnesiums" that are in very very tiny amounts in supplements to help form the pills. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_stearate Don't worry about those magnesiums, there's no getting away from them anyhow. I prefer you get your potassium via foods anyway because it's much safer, so no worries about the potassium supps.

Zivic already gave you some great suggestions for sodium but a couple other things that are loaded with sodium are ramen and other Asian noodle soups (add some meat and vegetables, don't just eat the ramen by itself because it's SO unhealthy and you need some protein with it to keep your blood sugar from crashing), homemade stirfried meat/vegetables with soy sauce, Rice-A-Roni (keeping with the Asian theme, one serving of Rice a Roni fried rice has a whopping 1240 mg of sodium!!) Even just tomato sauces are loaded with sodium, so if you had spaghetti with some meat in a jarred spaghetti sauce, that is a great source of sodium and is boy friendly. You can also salt the water you cook your pasta in and sneak some sodium in that way. And of course snacking on salted nuts is always encouraged!

Deli meats are a good source of sodium as well and the great news is that the nitrate-free, natural deli meats are actually higher in sodium than the regular versions!!

Personally, I ~prefer~ you guys to make a little better choices than ramen, canned soup, and Chef Boyardee day in and day out...yes, they have sodium and are fine now and then, but also are chock full of all kinds of preservatives and junk that does not help you conceive a boy in any way. Much better to make it yourself whenever possible and sneak in some REAL food.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; June 26th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the same problems trying to get enough sodium in. I have already increased my intake dramatically from what it was before (basically non-existent) but I'm nowhere near the levels IG recommends. Some days I feel like I could eat all day and still not get enough potassium and sodium! Grrrr! The two things I try to eat on a regular basis that I "like" to salt are eggs and potatoes. I try to mix it up between baked potatoes and grilled with a little olive oil. I've been making my eggs scrambled with chopped up tomatoes and deli meat for a little extra punch I also bought potato chips for potassium and sodium for those last minute munchies... my kids must thing some alien invaded mommy as this is something I would never have bought before

I'm trying to take this one step at a time and gelatin is next on my list. Any advice on how to make it not so horrible would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm really not looking forward to it based on all the comments about it. I started the diet, lemon water and supplements over the past 2 weeks and now I'm slowly adding more to it. Wanted to see what would work and what wouldn't before I just threw everything in at once! Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AS - So glad I read this reply as I have now stopped my soups as it was making me feel so sick!!! Now I feel much better that you agree it is not neccessary!
    Fathers Day baby!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    soontobesix, I place a tablepoon of gelatine in a small glass and add about a shot worth of pineapple/orange juice have to stir rapidly and quickly as it thickens quickly. I take a big mouthful while holding my breath as not to get the taste/texture and then have a quick mouthful of the juice in itself and gulp it down.... sometimes takes me two goes, take half and then half. This method works best for me lol and wash it down with a chaser of juice haha
    Fathers Day baby!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TTC5 View Post
    soontobesix, I place a tablepoon of gelatine in a small glass and add about a shot worth of pineapple/orange juice have to stir rapidly and quickly as it thickens quickly. I take a big mouthful while holding my breath as not to get the taste/texture and then have a quick mouthful of the juice in itself and gulp it down.... sometimes takes me two goes, take half and then half. This method works best for me lol and wash it down with a chaser of juice haha
    Oh boy... this sounds like fun! Can't wait to try it tomorrow! Ha ha! Thanks for the info TTC5! I was just looking at my box of Knox gelatin trying to figure out what to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You do get used to it, you have to quickly gulp it down in a fast shot and with a good chaser, lol.
    Fathers Day baby!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TTC5 View Post
    You do get used to it, you have to quickly gulp it down in a fast shot and with a good chaser, lol.
    i agree i do it lik eyou also. except i do it even raw-er. just add a tiny bit of water, hold my breathe, will my tongue not to taste, and gulp it. it always takes me 2 gulps, bc most of the gelatin ends up drowning to the bottom of teh glass. then there is always a bit left, so i add more water, mix it around and swallow again..so i guess 3 total. and my husb gets pissed if i dont rinse teh glass well bc it really gets sticky (he's the dishwasher). so i make sure to scrub teh spoon and glass after! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast