Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

DH is saying no to another child

Has anyone successfully convinced their dh to try for another? I'm really torn on this because I don't want to bring a child into the world under these circumstances. I guess this is just my selfish desire to have another child. I have always pictured wanting three and I really want to try for a boy. We swayed with our second but it took nine months and I dropped all my swaying strategies. I'm really sad today because this has been my dream and I feel like I'm not ready to be done. My dh is 43 and thinks he's too old. He also likes to have financial freedom and he is worried about the cost of another child plus college and all that. Those are not really issues I think about so I guess it's good he does. Anyone have any advice?

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sorry Quinn. It's hard isn't it. All you can really do is let him know how important it is to you and then just leave it for a while. Also maybe come up with a plan on how you can ease the financial burden.
    I had to talk DH into having kids. He kept putting it off which was highly frustrating. It was a long negotiation.

Good luck. I hope you get your hearts desire.
    Very blessed with

Due 24th March 2016

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My Dh was set against it...for years. Finally I agreed to stop at 2. But because he knew how much it meant to me, he finally caved. I had stopped talking about it and accepted the fact I would never have another baby and *poof*, out of nowhere he started talking about when we had another. Now pregnant.
    I thought I had no chance of ever having another...
    Good luck
    Angie
    (Dec 2006) (May 2007) (April 2008) (June 2009) (Oct 2010)
    Praying for a little to complete our family.
    Utrasound at 18w5d says we are expecting our first daughter!!!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My DH is 43 too and likewise thought he was too old he was also worried about babies health and us pushing our luck! I pleaded, moaned, cried and finally accepted that it was not going to happen when out of the blue he too started saying he would be open to another fast forward a bit over a year we are having a girl after two boys, icing on the cake!! My advice is don't include him in the swaying if you can get him to agree you want it to be as stress free as possibleXxxx

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you look at my past posts you'll see that I spent months dealing with just this issue. I was so depressed thinking that my husband would never come around, and I tried so hard to just accept what I had. Finally though after months of bringing it up occasionally and sometimes fighting about it he agreed. He even said he thought I would forget about it??!! And that as long as we agreed to some stuff ahead of time that he was 100% on board. Now I'm pregnant and he is just as excited as I am. So I feel that if you feel really strongly about it, then don't give up. Think of all his fears and try to come up with ideas that will help deal with those fears. I also never brought up swaying and swayed secretly for months and even when TTC he only knew vaguely about it. We both wanted another child though not just a boy or just a girl. Otherwise I would have been trying to convince him to go HT. I also think that there is no reason to pay for college or at least not all of it and you can support your children in other ways, so maybe find ways to help him feel more secure with the financial stuff? Good luck!
    Enjoying life with my crazy little DS1 2010: and DS2 2012:
    Jan 15- Loss sway baby 12 wks
    It's a boy!
    My Chart

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finances stress everyone out even where a new baby is not concerned. Before we decided to try for our second we sat down and budgeted everything out for the future. In less than a year we wont have a car payment anymore because it will be paid off, our house payment is getting lowered etc etc. So we made a spreadsheet of what he brings in, what I bring in and the total of our monthly expenses with our DS's care seperated out and then we doubled it like we were paying for an additional child and compared out what our finances would be for the next few years if everything remained the same. Of course DS will be out of diapers soon so that cost goes down or replaced by baby 2 depending on how you want to look at it. If your finances line up including the college etc that you mentioned then show it to him and show him you've really thought about it and this is what you can afford. That way he knows you've looked at the logic and not just the emotional.
    Apr 2012 June 2015

Our family is complete!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A short while after I met my DH he told me that he doesn't want to have kids. I said that he should have mentioned it earlier and if I had known I wouldn't have dated him cause kids are important to me. While we were debating the issue, I got pregnant with DS1 !!! Now, 7 years later, we have 3 boys. Ofcourse I had to convince him to have another baby every time but it wasn't very difficult. A few months ago I told him I'd like to try for a girl one last time. He put up quite a fight, but after a few months of begging and pleading to his heart he caved in and we had our attempt 10 days ago!!
    Never lose hope. If he sees how important it is to you he might change his mind.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    bumping.

I was in this situation and we ended up not trying, not preventing as a compromise My husband wasn't real happy that I ended up pregnant, to be honest.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not to completely go off on a tangent here but honestly, this annoys the H--- out of me. Because we women have to have the child, do most of the care for the child, etc and also our fertility is on a timeline. Whereas men can and DO wake up one day out of the blue and leave their families to go off with some other woman and start a whole 'nother family (not saying any of our DH's would do this, but they COULD) even at 50-60 years of age. So I really really thing we women ought to be the ones in charge of having X number of children as long as it's relatively reasonable. This whole thing with husbands refusing to have kids, while we're left crying and begging and pleading while our biological clocks count down to zero especially when they AGREED to having a certain number earlier in the relationship like my husband did - I"m sorry but I think it totally sucks and is a totally bull--- thing for guys to do. (humbly putting soapbox away)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

10. Thanks maidentomother thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^Amen to THAT, x1000, sister!

My late husband agreed to have children, YOUNG - it was a very explicit part of our pre-marital negotiations. And then after we were married he kept putting it off. Then he died at age 27 and so did my dreams of having kids young. I so immensely regret not having pushed. I was definitely the dominant partner but we had a very harmonious, respectful relationship (never fought or screamed at each other, we were just very in tune in most all regards), I didn't want to take advantage of his more easy going nature, but honestly I think if we'd had kids he would have been just fine. Many decent young men fear having kids but almost all of them turn into great dads. But I was young and stupid.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after removìng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

12. Likes Mantamom liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast