Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ovulation question. Possible TMI. Sorry

Hi all,

We are going to start ttc in the coming cycle. I have been trying to read my body for Ovulation signs by using opks and observing the CM. I used to stop using opks after the first solid smiley but I wanted to see for how many days does it stay. So, tried continued testing in the last two cycles. Lat month the solid smiley came for two days and then I didn't test the third day but this month it showed for just one day and the next day was negative. I also had CM ( Slippery but it was cloudy not clear sorry TMI) on the day of solid smiley and the next day when I tested negative.

I want to understand when should We try to dtd.
    I read that the ovulation occurs 24-48 hours after the first positive but I noticed only thick CM after 24 hours. I m so confused.

Also, if we dtd the night of +ve opk, the next morning and the same night then isn't it too soon as Ovulation occurs 24-48 hours after first positive opk.

I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone???

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best odds of conception are to DTD at the first positive opk. It takes about 24-48 to release the egg, but it also takes sperm 6-12 hours to capacitate to be able to swim to reach the egg. Having an attempt at the first positive opk ensures that you will have plenty of sperm waiting and capable of fertilizing the egg. Also how quickly for opks go negative does NOT tell you that ovulation has occurred. All that tells you is the length of your LH surge (the hormone for ripening the egg). How long or short your surge is does not tell you when the egg will be released.

FX and GL to you!

DS1, DS2, & DS3
    EDD 9/30/2017 for pink

4. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Skyblue, MiaMelb liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblue View Post
    Hi all,

We are going to start ttc in the coming cycle. I have been trying to read my body for Ovulation signs by using opks and observing the CM. I used to stop using opks after the first solid smiley but I wanted to see for how many days does it stay. So, tried continued testing in the last two cycles. Lat month the solid smiley came for two days and then I didn't test the third day but this month it showed for just one day and the next day was negative. I also had CM ( Slippery but it was cloudy not clear sorry TMI) on the day of solid smiley and the next day when I tested negative.

I want to understand when should We try to dtd.
    I read that the ovulation occurs 24-48 hours after the first positive but I noticed only thick CM after 24 hours. I m so confused.

Also, if we dtd the night of +ve opk, the next morning and the same night then isn't it too soon as Ovulation occurs 24-48 hours after first positive opk.

I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thankyou.

If you're using OPKs with the solid/flashing smileys, they're only supposed to show a peak of 2 days max anyway with a solid -- the flashing smiley is supposed to indicate the LH, as well. I think if you were more curious as to your surge in general, I'd do the cheapie Wondfos, where you could keep testing even through positive OPKs to see exactly when you go negative.

That said, no need to be sorry about TMI. I always wonder at that in TTC forums... the process in general is literally about having sex, haha, I see no reason for TMI! But for slippery CM, both watery and EGWM is slippery -- if it's cloudy, I'm wondering if you're having EWCM? Can you be more specific on consistency? Ultimately, you can conceive with either, and sometimes the CM isn't always lining up exactly with ovulation (I've had copious EWCM more than a week before ovulation before).

And the TTC boy DTD rec wouldn't be too soon. As XX said, it's amount the sheer amount of sperm for capacitation to get that egg. Sperm can live up to 3 or 4 days, even longer sometimes. You'd be ideally catching that egg even if you didn't ovulate until a full 48 hours after the last positive OPK.

6. Thanks Skyblue, atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by XXforhubby View Post
    The best odds of conception are to DTD at the first positive opk. It takes about 24-48 to release the egg, but it also takes sperm 6-12 hours to capacitate to be able to swim to reach the egg. Having an attempt at the first positive opk ensures that you will have plenty of sperm waiting and capable of fertilizing the egg. Also how quickly for opks go negative does NOT tell you that ovulation has occurred. All that tells you is the length of your LH surge (the hormone for ripening the egg). How long or short your surge is does not tell you when the egg will be released.

FX and GL to you!

DS1, DS2, & DS3
    EDD 9/30/2017 for pink
    Thankyou so much. I understand it well after reading your reply. I can't Thankyou enough. I m a little scared since we will start trying soon
    It's getting real now.

8. Likes XXforhubby, MiaMelb liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway_panther View Post
    If you're using OPKs with the solid/flashing smileys, they're only supposed to show a peak of 2 days max anyway with a solid -- the flashing smiley is supposed to indicate the LH, as well. I think if you were more curious as to your surge in general, I'd do the cheapie Wondfos, where you could keep testing even through positive OPKs to see exactly when you go negative.

That said, no need to be sorry about TMI. I always wonder at that in TTC forums... the process in general is literally about having sex, haha, I see no reason for TMI! But for slippery CM, both watery and EGWM is slippery -- if it's cloudy, I'm wondering if you're having EWCM? Can you be more specific on consistency? Ultimately, you can conceive with either, and sometimes the CM isn't always lining up exactly with ovulation (I've had copious EWCM more than a week before ovulation before).

And the TTC boy DTD rec wouldn't be too soon. As XX said, it's amount the sheer amount of sperm for capacitation to get that egg. Sperm can live up to 3 or 4 days, even longer sometimes. You'd be ideally catching that egg even if you didn't ovulate until a full 48 hours after the last positive OPK.

Thankyou for being so patient in explaining. I don't know when I ovulate. I tried very hard to read the signs but there weren't any. I only rely on the OPK. I also thought of buying the flashing smiley opk since it tells the peak reading which will help more since I suck at reading my body . I m using the cheap ones and the Clearblue pink one so far. Don't want to miss any chance so thinking of getting the flashing smiley one too though I know it doesn't work for everyone.

About CM, I think you are right. All I see is the cloudy CM but that gets slippery around ovulation. In my last cycle, the day after the positive OPk ( we were out shopping and my underwear was wet due to CM) which made me happy because I thought that might be the Ewcm but when I tested again after coming home on Clearblue pink, it was negative. I think I don't have a EWCM if that's supposed to be clear. I
    m planning on taking Mucinex, Grapefruit juice coming cycle from AF to O.

I now understand that it's best to have more attempts after positive opk to increase your chances.

I feel better after reading the replies. I can't talk to anyone about all this except here. Thanks for being so supportive.

10. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Throwaway_panther liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thankyou for being so patient in explaining. I don't know when I ovulate. I tried very hard to read the signs but there weren't any. I only rely on the OPK. I also thought of buying the flashing smiley opk since it tells the peak reading which will help more since I suck at reading my body . I m using the cheap ones and the Clearblue pink one so far. Don't want to miss any chance so thinking of getting the flashing smiley one too though I know it doesn't work for everyone.

About CM, I think you are right. All I see is the cloudy CM but that gets slippery around ovulation. In my last cycle, the day after the positive OPk ( we were out shopping and my underwear was wet due to CM) which made me happy because I thought that might be the Ewcm but when I tested again after coming home on Clearblue pink, it was negative. I think I don't have a EWCM if that's supposed to be clear. I
    m planning on taking Mucinex, Grapefruit juice coming cycle from AF to O.

I now understand that it's best to have more attempts after positive opk to increase your chances.

I feel better after reading the replies. I can't talk to anyone about all this except here. Thanks for being so supportive.

EWCM usually is cloudy! It's called that because it looks like egg whites

12. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes Skyblue liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway_panther View Post
    EWCM usually is cloudy! It's called that because it looks like egg whites
    My bad. I even tried to look up images for EWCM. I have officially lost my mind. I m such a mess.

14. Likes MiaMelb liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone???

If you bump your post by writing in it before anyone can answer, it makes it take longer for me to answer. I go from oldest to newest posts and so bumping your post makes it go to my "newest" posts and it takes even longer.

Timing doesn't sway. Most of us on here have timing opposites. What does seem to sway is having more than one attempt in your fertile window. So by having 3 attempts or so, starting at positive OPK, this guarantees you have enough time to have those 3 attempts.

If you MUST stick to O Day attempts, then skip the night of the positive OPK and have an attempt the next morning, the next evening, and again the next morning. But this is hard for most couples to do.

I really, really, really can't recommend having one attempt on O Day.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

16. Likes Skyblue liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    If you bump your post by writing in it before anyone can answer, it makes it take longer for me to answer. I go from oldest to newest posts and so bumping your post makes it go to my "newest" posts and it takes even longer.

Timing doesn't sway. Most of us on here have timing opposites. What does seem to sway is having more than one attempt in your fertile window. So by having 3 attempts or so, starting at positive OPK, this guarantees you have enough time to have those 3 attempts.

If you MUST stick to O Day attempts, then skip the night of the positive OPK and have an attempt the next morning, the next evening, and again the next morning. But this is hard for most couples to do.

I really, really, really can't recommend having one attempt on O Day.
    Thankyou Atomic. I will be careful
    Not to bump in future. You all are awesome. I must say this that before joining here, I got a lot of things wrong. It all makes so much sense now. You ladies are amazing. I can never say this enough.

18. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast