Thread: Bread Q

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bread Q

Hi everyone. If I was going to buy bread from the supermarket what level of sodium would be ok on the girl diet i.e. where I live they say that <450mg/100g of bread is a lower salt bread? I think this is still really high? Are people who eat bread just going to make their own bread in a bread maker? Also does anyone know about sourdough - I read somewhere that this is a low sodium option? If I was to say eat other products i.e. pita bread, instead of a commercial white bread what level of sodium would I be looking for on the ingredients list i.e. I also read that food with <120mg sodium/100g is low in salt?? cheers

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi. I have been reading the bread threads so I have answered my questions. I think I will need to buy a bread maker and make low sodium bread. Fingers crossed I can get a bread maker to work if I fork out the money to buy one!! cheers

Coccinelle33
    I got my bakery to make me no salt bread. I asked if they had it and they said no but that they could order it.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    how about weight watchers bread?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jude17 View Post
    Hi everyone. If I was going to buy bread from the supermarket what level of sodium would be ok on the girl diet i.e. where I live they say that <450mg/100g of bread is a lower salt bread? I think this is still really high? Are people who eat bread just going to make their own bread in a bread maker? Also does anyone know about sourdough - I read somewhere that this is a low sodium option? If I was to say eat other products i.e. pita bread, instead of a commercial white bread what level of sodium would I be looking for on the ingredients list i.e. I also read that food with <120mg sodium/100g is low in salt?? cheers
    I find it easiest to tally the TOTAL amount of sodium that one is eating per day rather than doing a lot of math on every scrap of food that goes down the hatch. So if you're getting 700-1000 mg of sodium TOTAL from all sources, that is what you should aim for, rather than any given amount of sodium in any one thing. You can get a ghastly amount of sodium eating nothing but low-sodium products if you eat enough of them, plus milk/yogurt have quite a bit of unavoidable sodium in them.

ALL store bought bread, even the "low sodium" kinds, tend to have way more sodium than you probably should get. Same iwth tortillas, pita, etc. It really is best to make your own if you possibly can.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SA77 View Post
    how about weight watchers bread?
    If the sodium content fits into your day's total, any bread is ok. The problem is that even diet products are often loaded with sodium and you should only be getting 700-1000 mg of sodium a day.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc3434 View Post
    I know atomic has mention ezekiel bread. I just bought the sesame bread that has 80mg of salt per one slice. I only eat one slice a day though. When this loft runs out I will try to switch to the no sodium ezekiel bread.

I have to be careful with carbs (with blood sugar) and that they make me gain weight easily. I don't feel comfortable eating white bread. I think losing the weight is more important for me. What do you guys think?
    I totally think that losing weight is the most important and it will help with your blood sugar as well.

PS - I like how you're only eating one slice, that's what everyone needs to do because bread just has SO MUCH sodium.