Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what is going on and hoping someone can help!

Okay so here's a little of my history. I am currently bf'g my 11.5 mth old about 3 times during the day and maybe once at night if he wakes up (but not huge feeds). He is NOT a good sleeper so sometimes nursing him back to sleep is all I can do to quickly get him back to sleep. I started taking Vitex about 2 mths. ago or maybe even a bit longer and although initially intended to take it 2w on and 2w off method because I wanted it to bring on ovulation and I really want my cycle to return I read somewheres that it can help to bring back AF if taken regularly so I've been taking 2 400mg caps in the am and 1 in the pm. I have had NO signs of ovulation whatsoever. I know BOTH nursing and vitex (if taken regularly) can inhibit ovulation but have read also where it does the opposite. I'm not exactly ready to get pregnant yet but I'm preparing to in the next 6 mths or so and will be attempting to sway pink. I just really want AF to come back so I can figure out my cycles again before TTC seriously. I just turned 37 so I'm no spring chicken anymore and DH is 38 and I have notoriously long cycles around 38-39 days in the past. Last night I stopped the vitex and am going to try the 2w on/2w off way. So many of my friends AF returns as soon as their baby starts eating (so at about the 6mth mark) or when baby starts to sleep through the night. Should I get my hormone levels checked? Any advice is appreciated. I should also mention I have hypothyroid and take synthroid but my levels have never better. Last time I had my levels checked my MD was actually going to decrease my dosage but because it was so good both of us decided not to mess with a dose that seemed to be working so well. When I was pregnant I was on a higher dose. Anyways, sorry this is so long winded but everyone seems so supportive here and has such good advice I feel comfortable asking for help. Thanks!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Vitex taken daily inhibits ovulation. I know there are other people out there who say it doesn't, but they are usually selling vitex. That has overwhelmingly been my experience over the course of the last 5 years - the people who take it daily, don't O. You're also taking a higher dose than most people take so it will be even stronger at inhibiting ovulation than say someone who was only taking 200/400 mg.

I also don't think it's good to take it daily when breastfeeding so as to give your baby a break from it. So anyone else reading this, I would prefer that people breastfeeding take it in the 2 w on, rest of cycle off pattern only and woudl prob. stick to a 400-800 mg dose and no more than that.

And tho I feel like I'm adding insult to injury here LOL I no longer recommend vitex for people with thyroid issues at all. While it is supposedly ok, it's been shown to affect levels of thyroid medication and a few people had weird experiences taking it with thyroid issues, so I have dropped it for anyone with thyroid trouble.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for replying Atomic. I had asked my MD about taking the Vitex with Synthroid and she didn't think it was a problem although many physicians don't really know a lot about 'herbal stuff' so that might be why she didn't care. LOL. I get my levels checked regularly and will be doing again soon so will see if there is a change in my hormone levels at that time. I have started just taking it 2w on way to see if anything does happen. I appreciate you replying so quickly!