Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Waiting for OPK?

Hi everyone! We're gearing up for our attempt this month, but I had a question. Are people getting as good of girl results with 1 attempt every 4 days as with 1 attempt at positive OPK? I'm having EWCM for the last two days, but am still waiting on a positive OPK. Today would be the day 4 attempt.

Any advice on whether we should DTD today or hold out for the positive OPK? I'm getting nervous with each negative OPK since I know my window is either here or very close. TIA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The every 4 day plan is so new we don't have much if any data on it. I say if you're worried and really don't want to skip this month, then try every 4 days. OPKs dont work for everyone. What brand are you using?

One thing to keep in mind as well is that you can have EWCM several days in advance of O. I get mine starting 6-8 days before but my OPKs don't start darkening until 1-3 days before O. CM isn't that useful for pinpointing O with any accuracy, unfortunately.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your reply! I'm on CD 15, and my cycles are typically between 28-29 days. Thinking I should have either ovulated by now or it should be today/tomorrow. I've been using the CVS brand daily strips and just tried a digital test today, too. All been negative so far.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My cycles are 28-30 days and I O CD17-20 usually, with OPKs darkening very suddenly 1-3 days before O. Many if not most women with 28 day cycles O later than CD14-15, from what I've observed. But I still think you should try BDing every 4 days just in case. What time of day are you testing? I get my darkest OPKs in the afternoon.

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I test with FMU, based on the instructions. I used the digital mid-morning because I saw someone mention that's typically when your surge happens. We're going to wait it out this cycle and hope my positive OPK is coming I think the EWCM threw me off because previous cycles I had the positive with EWCM. This month, that seems to be tapering off with no sign of a positive OPK. Of course the month we decide to go for it things get wonky. Sigh... I guess if I have the tests I can check in the afternoons, too.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I urge you to have an attempt ASAP if you don't want to skip this month. Not every woman gets positive OPKs and it's possible to get one the same day you O, with little warning. I've never had anything near positive with the CB digitals, personally. Do try around 3pm and see ifyou get a darker line then.

My Ovulation Chart

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Both of these are relatively new ideas so I'm not sure we can pin it down.

What I'd do, if you really truly can't decide, is flip a coin and do what the coin tells you. I know it sounds crazy but we boy moms have a tendency to mull and debate things to such extent that it may even undermine their sway by raising testosterone (or whatever it is personality factor that seems to contribute to sway opposites)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're doing the every 4 day, then STICK to it! Don't postpone on the basis of not getting oPK. You can def. get pregnant with an attempt before positive OPK, but if O happens then you're out the month.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the responses! Still no +OPK as of this afternoon. I had some lingering EWCM late morning, so I'm hoping that means we still have time for one more attempt this cycle. I'm on CD 16 today.

If I had EWCM, does that mean that I did or definitely will O? I know OPKs won't tell you for sure, but would the changes in CM be a sign that it happened/will happen? I'm a little concerned that because I didn't get a +OPK I didn't O at all this month. I'm almost 35, so I'm worried my body is slowing down.

DH and my schedule are chaotic today, but hopefully we can have one attempt by tomorrow.

Thanks for the helps ladies! Any other thoughts are very welcome!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    CM can be so misleading. You can have 2 weeks or more of EWCM and never O; often ladies with PCOS will have long anovulatory cycles with no period for months and months and several patches of EWCM but no O - despite many positive OPKs. And then some women can have no fertile CM at all and only negative OPKs and yet they O; I've personally had 2 cycles while swaying with faint OPKs and only creamy CM, but confirmed O (via temp rise & bloodwork). The only way to know for sure that you've Oed is a sustained temp rise (and even temps aren't always perfect), blood work, or ultrasound - and unfortunately, all if these methods are only useful for confirming O days AFTER it has happened. That's why atomic developed the every 4 days plan, bc OPKs can be unreliable for many and bc trying to predict O is often so difficult and stressful.

At CD16 you still have time to O. It's also possible that swaying (if you're doing the LE diet and/or exercise and/or taking Vitex) has delayed O, as any of those factors can mess up your cycle. It's an extremely common effect. If your O is being delayed, then you have (potentially) more time than you think - though I wouldn't depend on that. I love atomic's idea of flipping a coin to decide whether to attempt - over thinking is best avoided when swaying pink.
    Last edited by maidentomother; August 24th, 2014 at 09:25 PM.

My Ovulation Chart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast