Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

First day of AF: spotting or all hell breaks loose?

So what do we count as our first day of AF? I usually spot about a day or 2 and then all hell breaks loose. I used to count the first day of major flow as the first day of AF, but since a few months I first start spotting and then the real deal comes along. Today I'm supposed to be on day 21 of my cycle, but I'm spotting a bit. So this is actually day one of my next cycle? So I only had 20 days last cycle? Going to phone my gp tomorrow, as I need to find out why I get these ridiculous short cycles, it's driving me bonkers!
    Mummy to a girl, born sleeping & two gorgeous & loud little boys

2. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I spot too for days (sometimes a week) before AF comes. I count the first day of AF as the first day of flow. And I recently heard if it starts after 5/6pm then you should count the next day as CD1.
    Thank you God and Our Lady
    - 2005 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016

Due January 2021

Dec '12, Feb '13, July '15

4. Thanks atomic sagebrush, Hitmebabyonemoretime thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I spot too for a day or too before AF comes. This spotting started after DS2 was born. I have also counted cd1 when flow starts. But I've been wondering the same, is it really cd1 or is it cd1 when the spotting starts. I've heard that too that if AF starts around 6pm it's cd1 the next day.
    2010 (confirmed boy)
    2011 2014 2016

6. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Spotting is supposed to be part of the previous cycle and CD 1 is the first day of bright red flow.

That having been said, I think it is best to take a flexible approach on this - if you have a LOT of spotting, it's PROBABLY CD 1.

My rule of thumb is, if you feel like it's AF, it probably is.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

8. Likes 2xblue liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mommymachine View Post
    I spot too for days (sometimes a week) before AF comes. I count the first day of AF as the first day of flow. And I recently heard if it starts after 5/6pm then you should count the next day as CD1.
    if you're a person who always has several days of spotting then AF starts properly, then you can see the pattern and know when CD 1 really is.

But a person who spots for a day before, that may just be the way it starts for you.

I wouldn't worry about the time of day, I think that's overthinking things (I know all the "experts" like to make things so complicated you need a guidebook just to decide if you're getting your period or not) and stick with "if you think it's AF, then it is."

Something interesting we are finding is that many pink swayers, who have always gotten AF in the morning (which is the most usual time of day it arrives) are starting to get AF in the night when swaying. WE don't know why. I will say that I always got AF in the afternoon when I was a teenager, then it switched to the morning and stayed there until I swayed with DD, then it switched to the evening and has stayed there ever since (after I had her, it came back starting in the evening too - and remember I am 105 years old and almost certainly in perimenopause). So I am wondering if there may be some connection between lower fertility and AF coming in the afternoon/evening.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have always said it's personal preference. Everyone has there own way of doing it. Personally I've always counted the first I can't get by with a pantyliner as CD 1. I don't spot pre-AF often but when I do if it is light enough that I can either get away with nothing or a liner I count it as part of the previous cycle. If a pad or tampon (even a light flow tampon) I count it as CD 1.

As far as your cycle, you could be an early O'er which is perfectly fine or you could have a short LP, or a combo of both. Do you chart? If you do you may already know which camp you fit into. It's a good idea to call your doc though! If it's a short LP then could be a problem. I always recommend charting to everyone. It's amazing how much you can learn about your body by putting a few mins a day towards charting. The learning curve can be steep (it's actually quiet easy once you catch on to it though) but well worth it.

HTH.
    Our family is complete
    My precious babies: 2006 , 2010 2016
    Too beautiful for earth: 2009- (20+5). 2015- (8w), CP, (8w)

Please pardon typos~ Nursing @ keyboard

11. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    if you're a person who always has several days of spotting then AF starts properly, then you can see the pattern and know when CD 1 really is.

But a person who spots for a day before, that may just be the way it starts for you.

I wouldn't worry about the time of day, I think that's overthinking things (I know all the "experts" like to make things so complicated you need a guidebook just to decide if you're getting your period or not) and stick with "if you think it's AF, then it is."

Something interesting we are finding is that many pink swayers, who have always gotten AF in the morning (which is the most usual time of day it arrives) are starting to get AF in the night when swaying. WE don't know why. I will say that I always got AF in the afternoon when I was a teenager, then it switched to the morning and stayed there until I swayed with DD, then it switched to the evening and has stayed there ever since (after I had her, it came back starting in the evening too - and remember I am 105 years old and almost certainly in perimenopause). So I am wondering if there may be some connection between lower fertility and AF coming in the afternoon/evening.
    I'm shocked that thats an actual thing. Since my PPAF came back 9 months ago, I have had 3 AFs start in the morning, the rest came after 5pm. I blame breastfeeding, since I can't blame age.

I love your wealth of knowledge !
    Last edited by mommymachine; June 10th, 2015 at 12:35 PM.
    Thank you God and Our Lady
    - 2005 - 2007 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2016

Due January 2021

Dec '12, Feb '13, July '15

13. Likes twointow83 liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by twointow83 View Post
    I have always said it's personal preference. Everyone has there own way of doing it. Personally I've always counted the first I can't get by with a pantyliner as CD 1. I don't spot pre-AF often but when I do if it is light enough that I can either get away with nothing or a liner I count it as part of the previous cycle. If a pad or tampon (even a light flow tampon) I count it as CD 1.

As far as your cycle, you could be an early O'er which is perfectly fine or you could have a short LP, or a combo of both. Do you chart? If you do you may already know which camp you fit into. It's a good idea to call your doc though! If it's a short LP then could be a problem. I always recommend charting to everyone. It's amazing how much you can learn about your body by putting a few mins a day towards charting. The learning curve can be steep (it's actually quiet easy once you catch on to it though) but well worth it.

HTH.
    and if you chart you will start to see the pattern and know where you're at. But, if you don't want to chart, I agree totally it's really a personal preference. Very little (except timing!!) REALLY requires an accurate accounting of CD 1.

15. Likes twointow83 liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I'm going to start temping in a few days! I've never kept a chart, I just always write down what I notice in cm and other things like pimples, sore breasts etc. But I'll be charting from now on and want to get opk's. I want to know if what I'm feeling is consistent with what's really going on.

My GP today was not impressed. 21 day cycles is fine. Ugh. No surprise that's how she responds though!! I'll be getting a new GP in a few weeks, try my luck there and see if I can get some testing done and hopefully get clomid and be monitered.
    Mummy to a girl, born sleeping & two gorgeous & loud little boys

17. Likes twointow83 liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mommymachine View Post
    I'm shocked that thats an actual thing. Since my PPAF came back 9 months ago, I have had 3 AFs start in the morning, the rest came after 5pm. I blame breastfeeding, since I can't blame age.

I love your wealth of knowledge !
    I can't believe it either - I read one mention of it one time in this dusty old hippy book I got at Goodwill and then started to realize it was actually happening to people!! Going both ways, too. The blue swayers were having AF start in the morning when it never did before.

Swaying aside I really think that we are doing a lot of good factfinding on this site!

19. Likes Dana-Alicia liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast