Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCOS Diet

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

PCOS Diet

Hi all :-) I have been doing the PCOS diet on and off for the last few months and will giving it my all the next couple of months.I just want some reassurance that I'm on the right track and if I need to change anything.I'm averaging 1500 calories a day.Protein 30-60g and Fat 30-50g.I normally eat the below with the occasional cheat :-)
    Late bfast at 11am vita crackers(whole grain) x 4 or 6 with cream cheese,full fat and tiny amount of jam.An apple or pear/bowl of mixed fruit with a carrot and hummus.
    Lunch 2:30-3pm brown rice/wholemeal pasta with chicken(small amount) veggies and sprinkle of Parmesan and full fat yoghurt with teaspoon of cinnamon.
    Dinner:Egg whites with mushrooms and baby spinach with side of veggies(brow or cauliflower) and piece of multigrain toast,digestive biscuits OR stir fry with tofu or pesto pasta with tofu(sprinkle of Parmesan)

If I'm low on calories then I normally have more fruit or veggies and hummus.

Every other day I will have peanut butter on vita wheat or to make a satay for chicken stir fry,cranberry juice(small glass) or as a treat a banana smoothie made up of almond milk,mixed nuts and no sugar choc topping or a chai latte on f/c with lots of cinnamon(ground)

I excercise 1 hour a day(jogging or walking) or do an hour gym class.

2. Likes sammysam liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds great!

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds great Jensy, very similar to what I'm eating!

5 HT cycles all BFN

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Protein needs to be 50-60 g and fat also needs to be 50-60 g. The reason for this, is becaue when you get a higher % of your day's cals from protein and fat, your carbs are lowered by default. So I would tinker with that a little bit.

Also, just want to be sure you understand that with low carb veggies, like mushroom, spinach, broc, and similar foods, those are FREE and unlimited. IF you need more calories you have to get them from other things besides those. THey don't count.

Fruit and higher carb veg are free for protein and fat, but count for calories (apple, pear, fruit) so if you were counting that in your protein totals, you need to get 50-60 g protein AND fat without counting the amounts in fruit or veg.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

6. Likes jensy liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the reply :-) I need to work on this I think.If my protein needs to be increased and I have had the '5 times a day' protein sources,should I just increase my consumption of chicken for example instead of doing the extra vita wheats(carbs)? Just trying to workout a go to protein source that will bump it up but still within what I should be having.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is some flexibility in this because different people have different likes, dislikes, body weight/composition, exercise, and severity of PCO. So if you have very severe PCOS you would need to cut WAY back on carbs totally in favor of chicken. Someone who has mild PCOS and is thin and exercises, may prefer to at least give it a try with plant proteins first and see what happens (and in fact may NEED to because they'd lose too much weight with just chicken) So let your results be your guide, if you feel like you're having a flare up, gaining weight, increased symptoms like acne and hair growth, irregular cycle, then you need to cut carbs more and increase animal protein intake. IF weight is flying off, you need to up carb intake and may need to lower animal proteins in order to have enough wiggle room to do that. I hope that makes sense, it's a little hard to explain.

9. Likes jensy liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What is everyone's thoughts on almond milk and quinoa flakes(use them for veggie parties,biscuits and porridge)??

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are no forbidden foods and are ok but they are def. carby so may not be best for PCOS.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last question for a while,I promise lol.I'm upping my calories slightly and fat intake as I'm not ovulating :-( would you suggest,increasing intake of full fat diary and Mayoniaise and things to meals?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no it's ok, just sometimes takes me a few days.

Is this a new development?? On any herbs, breastfeeding???

Do you actually have full blown PCOS or using the diet for some other reason?

My "magic remedy" for not ovulating is 1 serv (or more) full fat dairy every day, 4-6 whole eggs a week, one serving of salmon or well marbled red meat per week.

14. Likes skillet04 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast