Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fibroids that are benign!?

Hi

Anybody have these/this and what did you do about it?!

Waiting to hear back from GP for next steps but thought i would pop in here and find out if anyone has been through this whilst ttc.

Thanks x

Happy with my crew and no more are due xx

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All fibroids are benign, they are not cancer. For some reason our bodies just grow them, and no one knows why. They used to think they were bad, had to be removed, etc. but now it's believed it is ok to TTC with smaller ones and even some bigger ones. When the doctor goes in to take a look, s/he will be able to tell you a lot more, since location matters and how deep they are in the uterine lining. Please don't worry though, most of the time they are no issue at all.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

3. Likes Bepan liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, Thanks Atomic - i had a hysteroscopy this morning and they noted the fibroid on the lining/outside (not growing inside) causing my cavity to be distorted. They said ive had it a while and it could have contributed to my miscarriage in October - (but obviously they cannot be certain) and that it could cause future miscarraiges but they said that in no alarming way and in no way matter of factly! The nurse didnt go in to too much detail but did say i can chat to my doc about ways of shrinking / removing it - i thought that would be wise considering i do not want to put myself at risk of another miscarriage, but she also said its not something to worry about. The consultant did say how common they were this morning and he showed it to me on the screen .. are there ladies you know of that go on to have successful pregnancies whilst having fibroids?!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would suggest Googling this and you'll see tons of success stories with women who had fibroids (yes, plural) and had successful pregnancies. (this is the only time I ever WANT people to Google stuff LOL)

This is one of those things that may be medically overmanaged sometimes. Doctors have an unfortunate tendency to grab onto the first thing they see and use that to explain everything else and so you walk in there with a fibroid, which as many as 70% of women have by the time they're 50 (and usually they start growing much sooner than that) and of course that's the "cause" of your miscarriage. But there are TONS of us walking around out here who never have been checked and probably have a fibroid or two ourselves and we never even know they're there simply because we didn't have a miscarriage.

They used to operate under the assumption that all fibroids harmed pregnancy and had to be taken out but calmer heads have prevailed and they now know that some are riskier than others and they'll be better able to advise you as to whether you are in the group that needs to have it removed vs. the group that doesn't.

Good news is, they shrink after menopause! so for most of us, since most of us WILL get one or more, they'll go away after that point even without treatments.

6. Thanks squigglepink thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose it depends where it is situated like you said and what hassle it may/may not cause. Strangely im not that worried about it but rather just want to know if i should carry on trying.. but ill wait to hear back from doc tmw. I have read that depending what type of fibroids - it can effect fertility.

Also - the consultant told me today my uterus is backwards. Ive never heard this before!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine is too, again, something that is not an issue that they used to make into an issue! (and occasionally you'll come across an old fashioned type that still tries to make it into a thing.) Should not be a problem. It will flip up the right way around as the baby grows!

9. Thanks squigglepink thanked for this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have fibroids. Got pregnant easily with my first, had an all natural vaginal birth, no complications. Got pregnant easily second time, miscarried early, but it seems not due to fibroids. Got pregnant a third time easily as well. Expecting another uncomplicated birth.

I've had pregnancy complications due to the fibroids, though. Extreme pain from red degeneration.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    DS 1 Born August 2013
    DS 2 (Due May 15th, 2017)

11. Thanks squigglepink, atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh no Lissa I'm sorry to hear that!! It can clear up and I hope it does soon.

13. Likes Lissastick liked this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this is an old post but wanted to chime in. I had a successful pregnancy with an intramural 2cm fibroid on my left side that did not grow at all although my waters did break at 35 wks and i didn't go into labour so had another C section, nothing was mentioned if my fibroid caused my waters to break early but in the last few weeks I've been reading up on fibroids more and that can be a complication. Fibroids tend to grow in pregnancy from all the hormones.

Fast forward to this yr 9 yrs later that same fibroid had been slowly growing to 4cm until I get pregnant, in 4 wks it grows to 8cm and goes through Red degeneration twice in the space of 10 weeks,the pain was unreal, worse than labour pain, my resting heart rate was as if I was doing exercise, raised blood pressure and temp that they admitted me to hospital to get it all under control. I actually have three fibroids and the next biggest is 3cm and had also gone through red degeneration in that pregnancy but I did not feel that. sadly I lost the babies and then the hospital had a hard time getting them out because the fibroid has distorted my uterus so much that they could not even get to my cervix in internal examinations and could only feel the fibroid. Several times I was asked by different consultants/nurses if I had children already which was worrying. Felt like they were getting at I may not be able to have anymore children.

First attempt to get them out failed and then they tried again the next day and it was successful, first surgeon who failed said to me after "that fibroid really needs to come out, its big and causing problems and is possibly the reason you miscarried" I think she felt funny as she said to me only one time before she hasnt been able to do the procedure but she just couldnt get to my cervix even though it was ultrasound guided and the 2nd surgeon said "You really need to think about what you are going to do" I asked what are my options and she said "hysterectomy" even typing that word makes me feel teary. I was devastated 36 yrs old, in hospital having twins removed and all she could tell me about was getting my uterus out does it look like im done having children. Yes I have two boys already and I'm soooo grateful but 6yrs i've been desperate to get pregnant and expand our family so it hit me hard. Personally I wouldn't get preg with my fibroid, my heart cant take it,I feel like my body failed them and I'm just too scared especially after a few of the consultants said might be the cause. Sorry I am probably biased from my experience and I'm not trying to scare anyone but If you were a friend or family member I'd advise you to get something done about them before ttc, maybe shrink them if not surgery as that has risk. Red degeneration that can cause your uterus to contract and cause miscarriage,preterm labour and stillbirth, those are very real risk of fibroids, no doctor will ever say they wont cause those things, most say you "should or probably" be fine. Lots of women have successful pregnancies with fibroids BUT not many have no symptoms during those pregnancies from the fibroids. Good luck and I hope you get your DD.
    Last edited by carebear1st; May 23rd, 2017 at 03:41 PM.
    Two prince's 00 08

Silent M/C twins 3rd may 2017

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. This is indeed the worst case scenario and I am so terribly sorry you had to go through all that. Each case is individual and some people do need to have them out.