Thread: vitex

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Confused vitex

anyone have experience with vitex? i have always taken it due to irregular periods. i stopped taking it about a month ago, when we decided we wanted to start trying for a baby (bc i heard how it can cause miscarriages) now i think i need to take it again bc i still have not gotten period. should i take 2/day then lower it to 1/day once i get a bfp? then continue taking 1/day thru 1st trimester? i have read stories about it causing miscarriages, so i am at a loss of what to do.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi,
    I was taking this when i conceived my little girl. I had 3 mcs previously so took this as it was recommended on a MC forum that i was on and also as i hoped it would help me if i had low prog during the TWW. I took it from CD1 to ovulation (first positive on the OV tests) and got my baby girl. Im not saying that it prevented me from miscarrying nor am i saying that it got me my girl but im taking it this time the same way since i feel that it helped me

GL

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you conceived on it before?

If it's working for you to keep your periods regular that is fine. I usually have people take it 2 weeks on, then 2 weeks off. But there's nothing set in stone that you have to do it that way. I know of a few people who have taken it into pregnancy and then weaned off like you're describing. I would not take it till the end of the first tri though. I'd take it till BFP and then start weaning off over the course of the next 3 weeks by gradually spacing doses further and further out till down to one per week and then you can drop.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never conceived on it before. This is our first time TTC! I have been on it for months to regulate my cycle- works wonders. Then stopped taking it right before we decided to start trying. Missed my period, thought wow maybe we got pregnant on the first try! Nope. Period was about 2 weeks late, just came yesterday! So, looks like I really do need vitex to regulate my periods. I take two capsules each morning, 440mg each. I will keep taking them each morning until BFP, and then probably for a week or so after that. Then I'll start tapering down my dosage. (I actually just open the capsules into a smoothie each morning, so I can really taper down the dosage easily) I am just so nervous about getting a miscarriage! All the stories I have read about vitex and miscarriages have been caused when they stop cold turkey after BFP. Ahhh! Nervous but excited! Thank you for all your help!!

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    PS. Like I said in above post, I stopped taking vitex once we decided we wanted to try for a baby. Since I got my period yesterday, I took vitex yesterday morning and this morning. I was planning on starting to take it each morning again since my period was so late this month without vitex. Do you suggest I take it like I was planning, or just stop? The only reason I want to take it is so that my cycles are regular. I want to get pregnant fast!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I'm sorry I probably should have known that!!!

Just because your period came late one time doesn't mean you ~need~ vitex. No one has a vitex shortage, it's not something your body needs really. I suspect you were just normalizing coming off of it.

I agree about quitting the vitex cold turkey not being good. I prefer to have people stop it at ovulation just because I worry about it but you are informed and understand and if you want to proceed with the plan, that's fine with me.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by plantbasedxoxo View Post
    PS. Like I said in above post, I stopped taking vitex once we decided we wanted to try for a baby. Since I got my period yesterday, I took vitex yesterday morning and this morning. I was planning on starting to take it each morning again since my period was so late this month without vitex. Do you suggest I take it like I was planning, or just stop? The only reason I want to take it is so that my cycles are regular. I want to get pregnant fast!
    I would personally prefer you leave it out especially since your period did come in a fairly timely fashion. I think your body was just a smidge confused for a minute there and had to work it out what to do.