Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Daily Doppler use

Hi Atomic. I would love your opinion on at home Doppler use during pregnancy. I purchased a handheld Doppler online and used it almost every day since about 12 weeks. I did some good research and figured how to use it properly, how to tell the difference between all the sounds you may catch (your own heartbeat, baby, placenta etc) I never actually caught a heart beat until exactly 13 weeks and caught peanuts Hbeat every day since. I’m 14 weeks 4 days now and I’ve probably used it just about once a day every day and I feel because of my past miscarriages and not even knowing about my missed miscarriages for weeks afterwards, the Doppler has helped me tremendously. Especially on days I feel off or extra anxious for whatever reason. I came across some things online which some people believe daily Doppler use can be harmful
    To the fetus. Random things about autism, deafness, I even seen some mums mention retardation! I know Forsure none of this has even been proven though and I know Doppler’s use the same waves as ultrasounds do But in your opinion do you think it is not a good idea to use every day? Or do you have any background knowledge in something like this? At this point I tend to find it in less than a minute but the first week and a bit I would use it for upwards of 5 minutes to find it. Would appreciate your insight as always my dear ❤️

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I did a lot of research with my 4th (who was high risk and I had to have scads of ultrasounds with him)

The consensus is, it's probably best to just keep it minimal because we can't ethically test the principle by deliberately exposing babies to things that could potentially harm them. I understand you have a lot of stress about this pregnancy. But if there's any way you could limit use from every day to once a week and/or just when you're feeling truly excessive anxiety, it just seems wiser to me.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

3. Thanks Blessedbymybabies thanked for this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Yes I did a lot of research with my 4th (who was high risk and I had to have scads of ultrasounds with him)

The consensus is, it's probably best to just keep it minimal because we can't ethically test the principle by deliberately exposing babies to things that could potentially harm them. I understand you have a lot of stress about this pregnancy. But if there's any way you could limit use from every day to once a week and/or just when you're feeling truly excessive anxiety, it just seems wiser to me.
    Okay, I definitely will cut out. I wish I did ask this sooner since I would have stopped sooner if I did. I hope I didn’t harm the past three weeks, I kept forgetting to ask the maternity Doc I just figured I went through forums with dozens of women who seem to say they used them and all was fine, but I guess you never know. I was just going to use it until I start feeling movement then I would have more reassurance, but I think I’m going to stop at least the majority of the time unless I utterly need too. I hope you don’t mind me asking but was there a reason for your fourth you researched it? Did you have a suspicion it may have affected him since he had many ultrasounds? Thank you Atomic! I am forever grateful to have you around
    Last edited by Blessedbymybabies; April 12th, 2019 at 06:25 PM.

5. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, people do all kinds of things online that are not advisable. The experts say not to do it except when absolutely necessary because it's just not known if it's harmful or not.

I researched it while I was pregnant to see if it was ok to have frequent ultrasounds. I didn't have much choice as I had a placenta previa and two placentas instead of just one. I had a Doppler and ultrasound every 2 weeks.

7. Likes Blessedbymybabies liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see, okay good to know. It sucks so bad that peace of mind may come with a price. Especially now that I am in my 15 week today. It was around this stage I had my second missed miscarriage, at this point I was so tempted to use it just for a quick second, I had a few days before this post I’d catch it the second I put the Doppler on my belly (I tend to know where baby hangs out now, still pretty low) so I would turn it off instantly within those seconds. now I’m just worried to use it since I may have overdone it but instead I just lay down for bed wondering if my baby’s still okay tonight (I have days my belly gets softer or my “outtie” belly button goes in) and those changes worry me.. It’s so hard after everything. I guess I have to hang on until my ultrasound.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If possible, try to strike a balance between your peace of mind and the Doppler use. If you're on the verge of panic then use it. If you are just curious or whatever, try to resist the temptation.

10. Thanks Blessedbymybabies thanked for this post