Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone do Femara/IUI

So looks like my husband and I will be doing IUI with femara this month. We were hoping to do femara with timed intercourse but something tells me we might need the IUI help.
    Last month my cd 3 lab work showed AMH to be 1.4 and FSH to be 14.
    Although I know with these numbers I can still conceive on my own I just am running out of patience and time and TTC the last 5 months has put a lot of stress on our daily

Anyone done or know anyone who has done IUI and know the gender? Is it true it favors boy over girl?
    The doctor originally wanted to put me on 100 mg clomid with IUI but I kinda told him I prefer femara over clomid ( due to higher chances of twins and effect on uterine lining)

I would still love to have my pigeon pair.

Thanks
    Last edited by HealthyGirl; June 17th, 2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Need your opinion on IUI

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    IUI sways boy and if the issue is with your hormones/eggs/uterus (though I really think you just need to give TTC more time), then IUI doesn't really boost odds of conception. IUI has very low odds overall, it's just a very ineffective method of conception compared to timed intercourse or even AI. It's only really worth it if there is a sperm issue or you have hostile CM (and that's unlikely in your case since you've conceived once naturally).

Otherwise it's just something drs advise to make money and so they can make you feel like you're doing something useful to improve your odds. Bc the drs dont actually know why you arent conceiving or they dont even care and just want to seem proactive. Most of the time it's a scam. Most drs HATE having to admit ignorance or failure and many would never do so. They'll do much to seem as confident & omniscient as possible in their patients' eyes.

Just do Femara and BD every 3 days ALL cycle long to optimize sperm quality. Don't do IUI!
    Last edited by maidentomother; June 17th, 2015 at 03:06 PM.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow maiden! I honestly didn't realize all of that. I thought the success rate was pretty high. If I do remember correctly it does sway boy more. But why is that?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really appreciate the response maidentomother.

Our RE told us femara with TIC will probably be like trying naturally on our own.

He also said IUI doesn't work when it's a male issue and it's used for unexplained infertility as in our case.
    I completely agree with you that it's just a scam but I did one cycle on femara unmonitored ( my husband and RE don't know ) and we bd every 3 days that cycle and it ended in a bfn and that's why I'm not very hopeful.
    My insurance pays for the IUI so I thought it might be worth a shot.

Is there a reason why it sways boy? Does it depend on which sperm washing technique they use at all?
    One of the questions my husband asked him today was about whether it favors one gender over the other. We are still waiting on a response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Please bump this for me, I have answers to some of the questions people are raising
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How do I bump this?

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BUMP!!

8. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Likes HealthyGirl liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As with all things swaying, we're not completely sure why IUI sways blue but we have some good theories. First is the fact that it bypasses your vagina/cervix, putting the sperm directly in the uterus. We think part of what sways pink are changes in CM caused by diet etc, so by bypassing the step of sperm going through CM, which reduces sperm selectively possibly in favour of X sperm, and/or interacts with the sperm sending them a signal to act differently, perhaps slow the Y sperm....we don't know the exact method for sure but there is much evidence that suggests creamy/reduced CM sways pink.

Second, the washing technique may sway blue, by killing/negatively effecting X over Y sperm or activating the Y sperm to make them superior. Washing is basically instant capacitation (the process sperm go through in our repriductive tracts in order to be capable of fertilization), and in our bodies that can take several hours, possibly up to 12, and how quickly and how many sperm are capicitated in vivo can vary tremendously based in large part on the CM. So for example, with natural sex, you might have 50% sperm capacitated at the time of fertilization and spread out through the reproductive tract, whereas with IUI you have close to 100% capacitated and ALL in the uterus. For reasons we don't know, possibly communication between sperm, more sperm together/higher sperm count seems to sway blue. So with IUI you have not only more sperm in the uterus, they're also all capicitated and ready to go, which effectively magnifies the high sperm count effect.

Edited to add: Another possibility is that the total number of sperm and ratio of capacitated to uncapacitated could signal the egg to change its permeability and preference for X vs Y sperm. The outer layer of the egg, the zona pellucida, has all kinds of proteins/receptors/channels which receive info and initiate changes to the cell membrane, eventually leading to fertilization. There are SO many possible ways these could be involved in passive and/or active gender selection by the egg, which I believe to be the result of swaying on a cellular level.

Some of these ideas are mine, based on my understanding of facts, so educated guesses. Some have been around for a while, and I'm pretty sure atomic came up with inter-sperm communication. I have to stress that we could be wrong and these are not proven mechanisms, but hopefully they help give you an idea of the possible details of how swaying works.

Be back in a bit to explain why IUI pregnancy rates are so low, need to charge my tablet.
    Last edited by maidentomother; June 17th, 2015 at 08:06 PM.

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

10. Thanks djmommy thanked for this post
    Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Maidentomother.
    We are gonna go for timed intercourse but don't know if I should do every 3 days or eve 3 days plus additional attempt at pod opk.
    I did every 3 days on femara ( unmonitored)for one cycle and it's ended in bfn.
    My RE decided to put my on 5 mg of femara this cycle.

Btw did I understand you correctly in June 2ww when you said you were conceived through IUI?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think in your case the issue is waiting for a good egg, not too few attempts. I would really stick with every 3 days if I were you.

No I was conceived by AI...artificial insemination with a syringe...one dose so one attempt, first try succeeded.

My Ovulation Chart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast