Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

regarding ultrasounds

I know sometimes people post pictures and want to know what side the baby/placenta is on. This is hard to answer, from what I understand, because ultrasound technicians can "flip" the screen (whether they are doing a trasnvaginal u/s or just over the tummy). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Here are my ultrasounds (both transvag) from 5 weeks 4 days (top) and 5 weeks 6 days (bottom). The "side" the baby is on looks like it switched to me. So, one of the techs flipped the screen, one didn't, and I don't know who did what. But this is why you would have to ask what side the baby is on. (I asked, but they told me "the middle"...maybe I asked wrong...)

Sometimes you can tell on an ultrasound if they label the ovaries. My friend got a picture from her u/s where they labeled the left ov so it was easier to tell what was her left side on the image and where the baby implanted.

Feel free to try to figure out what side my baby is really on, though LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you really can't tell unless you ask which side is which during the scan itself, and even then it's where the placenta is forming that's the key and that isn't always at the exact same spot where the baby seems to be

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see the arrow in the second picture, but nada about where the baby might be on the top picture. So I couldn't even say for sure if the images are different from one another. Its certainly possible one tech flipped the image.

I had the same thing happen to me. My first ultrasound was abdominal at 6+2 and baby was on the upper left side with the yolk sac right underneath. I assumed boy, since they are generally supposed to be mirror images. I did not see the tech measuring my ovaries because I was so terrified there wouldn't be a baby/heartbeat, I wouldn't look. And she did that first.

I went back at 8 weeks even for a check and had a different machine and my doctor doing the scan. The baby had entirely flipped sides. Now baby was on the right upper part of the sac and yolk sac was still visible below. The scan was also abdominal. So I figured someone flipped the image.

At 10 weeks, the tech measured my ovaries during the scan and I noticed the labeled left one was on the side of the placenta. And that turned out to be accurate, per my tech, I have a left anterior placenta...and a baby girl growing (per my 16 and 19 week scans).

So yeah, it does happen that techs flip the screen (it must have been the first tech who did, since abdominal are supposedly mirror images). I think it's why Ramzi's is not terribly easy to do on just a picture. Unless you are "lucky" enough to have a labeled ovary or cyst or something.
    A: "Owner" of the following brood:
    -Our biggest surprise dude (L: 2009)
    -Our rainbow little man (K: 2011)
    -Our sway and pray little diva (J: 2013)
    -Our lucky charm guy (S: 2015)
    We may be done, we may come back for one more sway. Time will tell. At the moment, we are very content with our family!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I'm totally lost for which tech flipped mine because both were transvaginal. I have nothing to go on. In the top picture, the two thicker crosses are measuring the baby, I think. but then I look and wonder . . . maybe the bottom sac (in the first picture) was the one with the baby (all the way to one side) and the top sac was just her measuring what she thought might be a twin. Really hard to tell what you are even looking at that early...