Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exercise in the first trimester?

Before my BFP i was working out regularly. I would walk my dogs for 45mins twice a week, do exercise bike for 30mins three times a week and an aerobics dvd 4 times a week. And strength training with weights. Is it ok to continue doing all these things in the first trimester? What should i be worried about? Overheating? Can i still do sit ups? I would really like to keep pregnancy weight down and tone up my arms and legs.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am pretty sure you can do all of this things .. But maybe not the sit ups and heavy weights. The main things you have to watch are your heart rate ( I believe it shouldn't go over 140 when preg) and staying hydrated.
    Our long awaited is here!!!!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you can safely keep it all up. I know many mamas want to scale back some, especially on intense cardio/aerobic routines because it starts to feel like too much... but generally it's safe. For strength training, the guideline is usually that you can keep doing it at 60% of your max lift. It's a time to maintain strength but not increase your lifts. There are some lifts I personally don't feel comfortable with (snatches, etc. and in late pg, deadlifts) and tend to stick with those that feel more comfortable (squats or simple isolation like arm curls).

I find CrossFit Mom's guidelines helpful... here's the first trimester page

1st Trimester
    Wife to a sweetie DH & Mama to:
    C, 13yo ; A, 11yo ; B, 9yo ; G, 6yo - successful blue sway; H, 3yo - sweet surprise!; C, 2yo - successful blue sway!, S - newbie!

Thank you GD!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I worked out up until recently, there are certain things I just wasn't comfortable doing so I stopped those. I don't think I would continue with the sit ups, but the cardio I would think is fine.

2007 2008 2012

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Ciniss, I am a few days behind you and started back at the gym last week! Have scaled down a bit an avoided any ab work. Although there are some safe abdominal exercises for pregnant woman on you tube!
    10 7 5 3

Cycle #1 - HRC in August 2012 10 Eggs retrieved, 8 to biopsy, 5 XX and 2 XY, only 1 healthy XX and one healthy XY. Transferred 1 XY. 1st BETA 607 2nd BETA 1970. Heatbeat seen on ultraound 24/9. 2 Heartbeats seen at second ultrasound! Holy Moly, it's split! We are having identical twins!!