Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

TTC-Boy Vegetarians-Protein Sources

I thought I'd try to compile some protein sources for Vegetarians swaying blue.

There are the usual suspects, beans, eggs, and dairy.
    Some of us may be wary of beans and dairy depending on what diet we are doing. The HE makes sense to me, but I am also trying to do the opposite of what got me girls and I had a lot of dairy with my last 3 girls. Anyway, thought we could come up with some other protein sources that could work more with any of the diets.

Here is what I have found so far.

1/4 cup sunflower seeds=7grams protein

2oz Barilla Whole Grain pasta=7 grams protein

1/2 cup old fashioned oats=5 grams protein

Anyone feel free to lmk if we are not supposed to be eating those foods for any reason. Any other veg. out there, feel free to add other boy friendly sources of protein that we may not think of.
    Last edited by n710; May 8th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nuts and nut butters!!!!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi n710,

I ate lots of dairy with my DD too. But my diet & exercise as a whole were girl friendly. I will not be giving up the dairy or beans for my boy sway as I will need all the protein help I can get.

Quinoa - 1 cup of cooked quinoa has 9g of protein. and it is a nice base for a packed lunch salad.

buckwheat - 1 cup cooked has 6g protein.

Multiseed bagel has about 9g of protein too. Yum served with nut butter and sliced banana or apple

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl327 View Post
    Hi n710,

I ate lots of dairy with my DD too. But my diet & exercise as a whole were girl friendly. I will not be giving up the dairy or beans for my boy sway as I will need all the protein help I can get.

Quinoa - 1 cup of cooked quinoa has 9g of protein. and it is a nice base for a packed lunch salad.

buckwheat - 1 cup cooked has 6g protein.

Multiseed bagel has about 9g of protein too. Yum served with nut butter and sliced banana or apple
    Thanks Pearl,
    I know what you mean. The more I think about it I realize how much less protein I have been eating since after having my son. I also did eat dairy (not ice cream though, mostly cheese) when I got pregnant with my son and I also drank watered down cranberry juice all the time.
    After I had him I started drinking lemon water with a little sugar. I just have so many elements of girl and boy friendly foods with both my son and then the 3 girls that I am becoming more and more convinced it was the lack of protein and skipping meals/fewer calories how I got all the girls, not necessarily the exact foods I was eating.

I do have to try more Quinoa and buckwheat-we do love rice and beans though, well the kids and DH eat it a lot. I have been realizing, I just end up having a salad with a couple slices of cheese and some potato chips when they have that-definitely missing the protein. Pearl when are you TTCing?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh and just from adding whole grain seed/oatmeal bread (I like Franz brand "Great Seed", "9 Grain" and "Buttermilk Oat" but I think that Franz is only available in the western US.) Great Seed also has poppy seeds so if you have to take drug tests, you can't eat it because you can get a false positive test. I have been having a hard time eating meat with this pg and I get 10 g of protein every time I eat a sandwich, just from my bread.

Full fat yogurt like Brown Cow is also great for protein.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by n710 View Post
    Thanks Pearl,
    I know what you mean. The more I think about it I realize how much less protein I have been eating since after having my son. I also did eat dairy (not ice cream though, mostly cheese) when I got pregnant with my son and I also drank watered down cranberry juice all the time.
    After I had him I started drinking lemon water with a little sugar. I just have so many elements of girl and boy friendly foods with both my son and then the 3 girls that I am becoming more and more convinced it was the lack of protein and skipping meals/fewer calories how I got all the girls, not necessarily the exact foods I was eating.

I do have to try more Quinoa and buckwheat-we do love rice and beans though, well the kids and DH eat it a lot. I have been realizing, I just end up having a salad with a couple slices of cheese and some potato chips when they have that-definitely missing the protein. Pearl when are you TTCing?
    n710 I will be TTCing in Oct/Nov. I was hoping to start in July but that was depending on my DD's hospital appointment. She has hip dysplasia and maybe needed an op to correct it this summer. But she is improving herself so a decision on the op has been postponed for 6 months. The op will now be in Jan if she needs it and I don't want to be heading into 3rd trimester and having a heavy toddler to carry around (as she will be in a cast and won't be able to walk or stand for 4 weeks)

When are you starting yourself ?

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh wow, good luck Pearl. Only one of my kids, DD#2 has had surgery. The beforehand was more nervewracking than the actual surgery. She did awesome and wasn't even phased.

We are starting in Sept./Oct. Just trying to get AF back after having DD#3 in March. It's always been 6 months or less so hopefully it does this time too

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well that AF makes a timely appearence.

I was so stressed out before the appointment yesterday wondering what the outcome would be. And I am sure that if she did need the op I would be a lot more stressed out then she would be. She is a very outgoing and relaxed little girl and doesn't get phased by much. What I was really dreading was the time after the op if she was having it at 18 months. How do you explain to a young toddler who didn't have anything outwardly wrong with them that today she cannot move around by herself when the day before she could walk, run and climb.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yikes, I hear DD#2 is 18 months now and it would be hard to not have her walk. So does she not need the surgery???

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope you heard good news, Pearl!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast