chachamama

New study about diet & timing in relation to gender..

Posted on another site, here's the abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21051285

I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to find the full text anywhere online. I did, however find that that the full text is available to anyone who has access through a college/university in Ohio.. Anyone possibly have a log-in to that system.. maybe someone is in college or knows someone who is? I'd love to read the study, so if you get ahold of it and wouldn't mind sharing PM me please, I'll send you my email address.

http://journals.ohiolink.edu/ejc/art...3794%236%29%29

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I will make it available for Members since it is a paid-for study.

From the main site menu bar at www.genderdreaming.com:

Gender Selection, Natural Gender Swaying, Dream Member Access, Study

Tuedsay- the link isn't working right now...trying to fix it
    Last edited by nuthinbutpink; January 4th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This study is really interesting. It is the first time I have seen both DIET and TIMING together in a study. The woman that wrote this runs a business in the Netherlands and from what a memeber told me charges around $1400 to "help" couples with diet and timing for a girl or boy. This study that ChaCha found is about trying for a girl.

Important points:

You must be on the Girl Diet for 9 weeks before TTC. The way the study ran, only the mother's diet was monitored. The "Girl Diet" was foods high in calcium and Magnesium and low in sodium and potassium- no mention of acid vs. alkaline foods. People ate a normal diet too....no crazy restrictions.

Timing- this is really interesting because the biggest Girl Day was 3 days Before O. Anything outside of that range, and you were in boy territory. However, the people in this study were advised NOT to BD beyond 2 days BEFORE and anytime through and after O. So, hard to say if O+12 would have the same result or not...wasn't part of the study.

She claims that with following the diet AND timing(BD 3 days before confirmed O-so you have to know your body and they used Clearblue easy OPK and assumed O was the day after the first +) you get a girl 81% of the time. So, if you are looking for some encouragement with trying a simple approach, this may be something you want to follow!

Here are some of the details from the study:

Prior to treatment, each participant filled in a questionnaire about her eating habits and preferences and a blood sample was analysed for Na+, K+, Ca2+ and Mg2+ concentrations. All serum analyses were performed at the same laboratory. These parameters were taken into account in a detailed personal diet advice, stipulating both allowed and excluded foods, aimed at decreasing sodium and potassium concentrations while increasing magnesium and calcium concentrations in the blood. As there is no evidence that a paternal diet might influence the sex of offspring, the diet was prescribed only for the mother. Some fathers followed the diet in support of their partner. The diet complied with guidelines of the Dutch National Bureau for Nutrition. All food preparation had to be without salt and an ample amount of dairy products had to be consumed (at least 500 g/day). A normal feeding pattern could be followed, including bread, vegetables, fruit, meat, rice and pasta. The intake of potatoes was limited because of its high potassium content. The effect of the diet was enhanced with daily food supplements: 400–600 mg magnesium (Orthica; Almere, The Netherlands), 500–700 mg calcium (Solgar; Leonia, NJ, USA), and 5–7.5 μg vitamin D (Davitamon; Chefaro, Rotterdam, The Netherlands), depending on the initial blood values. Based on previous experiences, the objective of the diet was to obtain a Na+ value of at most 140 mmol/l and an increase in serum Ca2+ concentration of at least 0.1 mmol/l. The effect of the diet was checked after 5 weeks by a second serum analysis. The diet was maintained during a period starting at least 9 weeks before planned conception, until a pregnancy home test provided proof of pregnancy. In most cases, the diet was started at the beginning of the menstrual cycle, two and a half cycles before planned conception. One last blood sample was taken as soon as possible – no more than a couple of days – after confirmation of pregnancy by positive home test, to check whether the blood values were still at the correct concentrations.

The participant could then discontinue the diet. If the blood concentrations showed insufficient effect after 5 weeks, diet and food supplement levels were adapted accordingly and blood values were checked again after 4 weeks.

All participants were trained for self-examination and before becoming pregnant, they were asked to monitor from four to six menstrual cycles to be able to predict the moment of ovulation as accurately as possible. This was done by registering basal body temperature, consistency of cervical mucus, cervical position, os diameter and cervix texture. Home-use ovulation prediction tests based on urinary LH surge (Clearblue; Unipath, Bedford, UK) were used to accurately gauge these observations (Grenache and Gronowski, 2003). Ovulation was assumed to take place 1 day after the start of the LH surge. Couples were advised to have regular intercourse, but to refrain from having intercourse in the period from 2 days before to several days after ovulation.

The study protocol required that the diet was followed uninterruptedly for at least 9 weeks preceding pregnancy, that blood samples were analysed before starting the diet and shortly after pregnancy, that the timing interval was determined using fertility charts and ovulation tests and that proof of the baby’s sex was obtained. The group of participants satisfying these basic requirements will be referred to as protocol group. Other subjects were excluded from those analyses for which data were incomplete.

The combined results of the 106 subjects who had data about timing of intercourse in Figure 4 show that, irrespective of diet, a timing of 3 or 4 days before ovulation yields a success rate of 58% girls (P = 0.025). A timing of intercourse that is 2 days or closer to ovulation has a marked adverse effect (17% girls, P = 0.0025), but also if the intercourse takes place 5 or 6 days before ovulation the percentage of girls is low (30%, not significant). This suggests a timing window of 3–4 days before ovulation that is favourable to the conception of girl babies. This U-shaped dependence between sex ratio and timing interval is supported by earlier data from Gray et al. (1998), and by James (2008).
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    great info! Thanks for posting NBP
    = One little prince! (2008) and
    Two little princesses (2010) (2013) successful girl sways

(my chart) http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/234f4a

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes this is really interesting!

Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks heaps for that Nuthinbutpink... really interesting write up. Makes you think the diet well worth it. Do you think that douching could have similar effect to diet, if diet was too hard to stick to for 9 weeks??

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb04 View Post
    Thanks heaps for that Nuthinbutpink... really interesting write up. Makes you think the diet well worth it. Do you think that douching could have similar effect to diet, if diet was too hard to stick to for 9 weeks??
    There is NO replacement for the diet. Diet is number one. Too many people have tried just timing, or just timing/douching and had opposites...if you're not super into swaying, go for it. After all, lots of people do NOTHING and still conceive baby girls. WE just want you to have the best sway possible and for that, you need the diet.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    There is NO replacement for the diet. Diet is number one. Too many people have tried just timing, or just timing/douching and had opposites...if you're not super into swaying, go for it. After all, lots of people do NOTHING and still conceive baby girls. WE just want you to have the best sway possible and for that, you need the diet.
    Diet is a must.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The more I read on this site the more I think its mostly about the diet to really sway.